Alice's Reviews > The Truth-Teller's Tale

The Truth-Teller's Tale by Sharon Shinn

Nov 26, 07

Recommended for: Becky
Read in November, 2007

This is a worthy sequel to The Safe-Keeper's Secret. As in that book, the main characters are a safe-keeper, who can keep any confidence, and a truth-teller, who cannot tell a lie. The twist is that the two are mirror-image twins. The plot is interesting, if somewhat predictable (I had guessed the surprise ending 100 pages before the end).

However, I've rarely read a book that posed so many intriguing ethical questions. Potential group discussion questions! Are there people that you feel that you can safely tell your secrets to? Why is this? What hazards are there in telling the truth? What hazards are there in keeping a secret? Is this really a personality dimension, like introvert/extrovert? Is it possible to be both kinds of person at once? The young safe-keeper in the first book in the series was distressed to learn that she was expected to keep confidences relating to abuse, incest, or rape. How do you feel about that? Are there secrets that should not be kept? Are there truths that should not be told? How can you tell that it is the right time to tell the truth?

Wow!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth-Teller's Tale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca I've never read this book, but always remembered the cover...it's creepy! I do judge books by their covers!