Dan's Reviews > Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives

Sum by David Eagleman

Mar 11, 10

Read in March, 2010

My friends Matt and Cassie recommended this book to me. It's a series of short 2-3 page stories about different possible afterlives. I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first because I wasn't sure how good they would be if they were so short. Boy was I wrong.

This book was phenomenal. It is funny, sad, humorous, and just downright lovely at times. I am definitely going to buy a copy.

My favorite story is probably one involving our creators being tiny, dim-witted creatures. After you die, you wake up and they are all staring at you in a lab, asking the same question, "Do you have answer? Do you have answer?" In this afterlife you realize that these creatures could not figure out the meaning of life and decided to pool their collective knowledge and create a machine smarter than they were. That's us. So they sent us out into the world to try and discover what the meaning of it all is. When you die, you come back to report to them. The only problem is, we don't know the answer. One of the little creature scientists runs off into a corner and begins to weep, realizing the project is a failure. Or is it?

Just wonderful. I highly recommend this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sum.