Janessa's Reviews > The Bog Baby

The Bog Baby by Jeanne Willis

Mar 10, 2010

bookshelves: picture-books
Read in February, 2010

I just have to add this book to my list for it's magical sweetness. The plot is pretty standard: two girls find a cute little creature in the pond near their home and take it home as a pet. They love their bog baby, and dote on it, making a home for it and feeding it bits of cake. But, inevitably, their pet grows sick, and sad. It needs to return to its home.

What makes the book stand out are the ethereal illustrations. The airy washes of pink, blue, and yellow transport the reader to a place that is more of a mood than a physical setting. The drawings of the bog baby himself, in his fairy-like world of cattails and dragonfly wings, exude magic. Meanwhile, the story of the girls, and of generations of girls - mother, daughter, and grandaughter - ground the story in a reality that is full of poignant connections, loss, and re-birth.

Best of all, when the story was done, my captivated little readers were so caught up in the magic of it that they turned to me and asked, "Are bog babies real?"
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bog Baby.

04/19 marked as: read