Joshua's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Connie Willis

Mar 10, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read in March, 2010

What a huge disappointment this book is. Gigantic letdown as it is the first book by Willis in a long time--nine years?--and involves one of my favorite subjects: time travel. Yet, this book is flat out dull when compared to a couple of other Willis books w/ time travel that I love, The Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog.

Blackout is a redundant story about historians from 2060 travelling back to WW2 to do research--cool idea that Willis has used before. As they jump back and forth between the two worlds, the historians encounter troubles, meet and observe the locals, become attached to people in the past. Multiple characters seem to have similar things happen that they have to deal with as they try to get back to the present world or while in WW2.

The book is too predictable and lacks real suspense and adventure. It's also missing the humor and sense of fun that I was expecting. And to think, this is only part one of the story, the rest comes in the fall of 2010. I think I might pass on part two and I don't want another dose of severe disappointment.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.