Logan's Reviews > Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz

M 50x66
Apr 08, 10

bookshelves: books-i-hate
Recommended to Logan by: My enemies.
Recommended for: My enemies.

Having never read a Dean Koontz novel and intrigued by the C.S. Lewis quote at the beginning of this book (I'm a huge Lewis fan), I picked this up, thinking that maybe this would be a good first exposure to Koontz's writing.

It wasn't. If I had to describe it in one word, the word I'd pick would be "ridiculous." The word fits every character, scenario and action in the entire book.

We have Frankenstein's monster who, apparently, found God and joined a monastery. We have Dr. Frankenstein himself, under a cool new nickname, who has discovered the secret to immortality and thus has descended into a nihilistic wonderland. We have a fabulous serial killer who has also discovered the secret to immortality (through daily vitamins, shampooing and exercise!) and serves no purpose in the story whatsoever except as a horror gimmick and a posthumous deus ex machina.

Then we have the protagonist, an anime-perfect heroine with bigger balls than any of the men in the book and no personality whatsoever. Along with Ms. Ballbuster is her namby-pamby detective partner.

Together, this wacky cast and others merge together to create a heaping, steaming ball of uselessness.

The characters have no personality at all (for a couple of them, that's even a part of their character!). There are scenes where you can't even tell who's talking. The "big twist" at the end that sets up the rest of this story can be seen a hundred miles away. The people act ridiculous and talk ridiculous. The story, though having a decent concept, goes nowhere at all. Finally, the portrayal of autism in this book is so laughably inaccurate and stereotypical that it almost comes off as insensitive.

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein is the literary equivalent to a horrible Hollywood remake of a remarkable classic film. I didn't bother to finish this series; instead I picked up his Odd Thomas series, which is far superior to this trash.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigal Son.