Sarah BT's Reviews > Firelight

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Sep 24, 11

I loved the premise of this book and thought it sounded incredibly unique, but unfortunately the story fell short. It started out with a lot of action, which I loved, and I really liked reading about Jacinda and her pride. But after a few chapters, this unique story about draki's turned into a "new girl in town meets hot distant boy at school" story and it lost all uniqueness it had going for it. The new girl storyline has been done so many times! I was more interested in the draki pride and I wanted this book to be more about that then a school story about a teen with a supernatural talent.

The bits we got about the pride, I loved, and I really wish that had been the main focus of the book. But we barely even get to see them or find out much about them which I found disappointing. Jacinda is the narrator and her story mainly revolves around Will, how she's attracted to him but shouldn't be, and how she doesn't want to lose her draki. She's a pretty whiny character throughout and she waffles back and forth in her decision making which is frustrating for the reader.

I didn't find any of the characters well rounded and I felt we never got to know anyone-even Jacinda. Her twin sister Tamra and her mom felt like she was just there for Jacinda to whine about. There were several characters that were mentioned, talked about a bit or even talked to in one scene but never did much. It felt like they were just there as an idea in the first draft but then forgotten about and never full developed. I would have liked to see more from Xander, Will's cousin-we're told to be afraid of him, but never really are shown why. And I thought there was potential to develop a great relationship between Jacinda and her elderly neighbor, but that's only hinted at and not delved into any further.

But my biggest problem is that Firelight is a lust story, not a love story. There is no relationship developed between Will and Jacinda. Why do they like each other? They're both hot. They never talk, and when they do it's very brief, yet we're supposed to believe Will is in love with Jacinda and that Jacinda loves him so deeply she'd do anything for him. They spend more time making out than getting to know each other. Jacinda mentions that Will knows everything about her but I never got that at all. I like my relationships more developed and believable. I want to see why the characters fall for each other and I love to see how they fall for each other. Will and Jacinda are just two teens in lust with one another.

Even with it's flaws, the draki idea was original and I really liked what there was about the draki mythology. That was what kept me reading. It's obviously setting up a sequel and not much is resolved or answered. But Firelight is a quick engaging read, and I'm sure fans of star-crossed romance will devour it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.