Sheila's Reviews > The Fire Within

2039269
Mar 10, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, childrens, scifi-fantasy
Read in February, 2010

I decided to read a children’s book as a change of pace, and Chris D’Lacey’s The Fire Within was a perfect choice. A young college student, David, moves into the home of mother and daughter, Elizabeth and Lucy, expecting just a room to sleep in and food to eat. But he soon becomes part of the family, helping Lucy in her quest to save the squirrel next door which was left injured when its tree was chopped down. The novel has a beautiful mixture of nature and fantasy, with delightful relationships, childlike innocence, and a real concern for the environment blended with an intriguing touch of magic. For Elizabeth makes beautiful kiln-fired dragons, and no one should ever make a dragon cry.

The fire of the title lies in the heart, of dragon or man. It’s kindled in story-telling and fills the pages of books and libraries. It conquers tragedy with honest tales and tears. And it’s wakened by love.

The Fire Within is a great book for any child who loves squirrels and/or cats and/or dragons. It’s a wonderful source of encouragement for library visits, nature quests, art and writing. The simple text and many layers of story should intrigue both eager and reluctant readers and inspire them to look for more. I really loved this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fire Within.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brianna Navillus The next book was more about the dragons. I read the whole series and for me, the books became more intriguing as the series progressed.

Brianna Navillus I don't know how I did that, but I meant to say that on a different person's review. But I agree with you.

Sheila I'm definitely planning to read more.