Eh?Eh!'s Reviews > A Wrinkle In Time

A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Mar 10, 10

bookshelves: tandy, dear-diary-what-book, goodreader-gave-to-me, babble-added
Read in January, 1990

Like many others, I read this in grade school and loved it. I think I read it several times. By now I'd forgotten every name, every place, every plot point. Every single detail except the radiant warmth I'd felt for this book, such that if it was mentioned I would immediately pipe up that I loved it.

I began reading this the night I received it (thank you, book fairy!, hugs to youuuuuuu!), spine curled into a C in my beloved reading chair, inviting the back hump so common in Korean women of older generations. The book was much thinner than I remembered. However, this copy, an older printing with yellowing pages, had ink that smudged if a finger was left too long on it, just like I remembered...when I held paperbacks with my thumb in the crease, long ago. Wrapped in an oh-so-soft fleece blanket, the only sounds being the tick-tock of a gigantic clock propped up in a chair in front of me and a muffled whooshing from cars driving down the nearby road, I began reading of Meg and Charles and promptly fell asleep. In the murffley drooping early stages of nodding off, I would read a few lines and then sleep, few lines, sleep, few lines...zzzzz.

This wasn't out of boredom; I know many times a childhood favorite doesn't measure up when read as an adult. No, this was a sleep of comfort, of trust. I don't need to finish the book again (or for the first time again, since so far nothing seems to be triggering that memory flood that sometimes happens) to know that I still feel the warmth, still love this book. I'll try to read a few more pages tonight, before I fall asleep with it.
23 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wrinkle In Time.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is kind of... sexy. Is that wrong?

Eh?Eh! I did confess I was sleeping with it.

Angel Jenkins I just read it myself, and loveit just as muchas i did when i was a kid, though i thought the resolution was a bit too quick.

The Crimson Fucker awwww!!!! i love this kind of reviews!!!! one the reviwer can actually made one interested in a book without saying anything about plot, story bla bla bla! and this one is so sweet!! again awwwww~

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this book. And pretty much every book by L'Engle. I was obsessed with them.

Eh?Eh! The resolution was very quick. I didn't remember it going by so quickly when I was a kid.

Thanks, Alfonso! Awwww, shucks!

I was obsessed with them, too, so I feel strange that I can't remember anything about this series.

Lori (Hellian) "spine curled into a C in my beloved reading chair, inviting the back hump so common in Korean women of older generations"

Oh! Hahahaha! Not only that line, but your review was so evocative of what comfort a loved book can bring us. The smell, the feel of crinkly pages. The security. I feel like I MUST read this book again, Right Now, to renew my life forces! I do have a copy, bought it for The Kid, who didn't like it. Probably because it was so highly touted by Mommy. I made sure to get a used copy that was just like my original one from the 1960s. I did the same with LOR.

Eh?Eh! Thank you, Lori! I remember not liking the old paper smell when I was little, even blowing on the pages as I read to keep the smell away (also a good technique for avoiding the onion cry). Now, old paper usually smells sort of sweet, like vanilla ice cream enfolded in dusty softness. But not gross like that.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I made my Dad pretty irritated/disappointed when I compulsively re-read every book I owned by L'Engle on a road trip together when I was about 12. Look out the window, girl! That's America, right there! No, no, just after this page. I re-read this not that long ago (no review, I couldn't do it justice) and the pacing was very different from my memory. Not bad, but I can't think of much contemporary YA that starts as slowly. So lovely.

Eh?Eh! It's hard to be impressed by amber waves of grain and purple mountain majesty at 12 (another field, big pile of rocks, pass). Does the magic/fantastic in books help us to start seeing the wonder in nature? I remember the family field trips to the ocean and waterfalls and only thinking "dude, that's a lot of water!" But then I read an old version of The Little Mermaid where she stabs herself and becomes sea foam, about nixies and naiads, and all those fantasies about having the power to control water (maybe even some Captain Planet thrown in there, not a book, but didn't the Asian girl have the element of water?). All that "dude, water!" became "oh! water!"

My memory is failing me by the day. It feels like all plots and characters of the YA books I read as a child are slowly melting away and I can only remember a lovely but extremely blurred haze.

Pharminator Thank for your review. This was my favorite book as a youth, I can remember not being able to put it down. About 10 years ago I re-read it and "A Wind in the Door" and "A Swiftly Tilting Planet". It was when I was doing my undergrad and was supposed to be studying in my university library but instead I revisited books from my youth. I loved the books all over again. Recently, I re-purchased a copy for my wife who had never read it growing up. I wonder if it will resonate with her the way it did for me.

Eh?Eh! Ah, nothing better than procrastination. I wish I'd turned to books from my youth like you did in undergrad, instead of "Wings" reruns and "Days of Our Lives."

I hope she likes it but it may be one of those books that people have to really love as a kid and carry that over into adulthood, kinda like mom's cooking.