Cienne Olaes's Reviews > 20 Times a Lady

20 Times a Lady by Karyn Bosnak

Mar 10, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, favorites
Read from July 17 to 18, 2010

I like it, that’s what I know when I bought this book. I just never knew that I am going to love it this much. This definitely tops my “to read again” list.

First thing to appreciate about the novel is the author’s creativity. Every page is like sneaking in and taking part to the life of Delilah Darling, feeling as if it was your voice speaking for her. The next thing to put emphasis on is the fact that Karyn Bosnak is hilarious and definitely deserves the “superb” remark for her first novel. Although, there may be minor flaws as to the way she wrote it, the structure and creative setting of characters have somehow concealed it, thus, allow readers to feel more relax and literally laugh page after page. Some parts made me teary-eyed as well – some “can relate to” parts. It also felt nice to have a Filipino touch in it; there is a special page. It may not be flattering but it just amazes me how some foreign authors were able to embed it in their novel like it was some kind of a French word. I wonder how she’d learn it.

20 times a lady is more than just “the number”. It’s about finding the courage to humbly accept failure and be enlightened afterwards that really there is nothing to feel regret about. It was inspiring to realize that mistakes make up the better person we are now and is bound to become.
I probably will never get over Roger and his braided belt, Delilah’s insane mom Kitty, Eva the yorkie with a lesbian haircut, Grandpa kicking Patsy and Colin and his abs (long sigh).

It is a bit naughty but assumed safe to read for the not so naughty. It is definitely a must-have to every chick-lit fan. I can’t wait to watch the movie version of this – “What’s your number?”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 20 Times a Lady.

07/17/2010 page 22
6.0% "must be the only crazy one who brings a book inside the steam room. did it twice, noticed the ladies stare at me like i'm some freak. my take here is that being "young and free" entitles you the rights of becoming insanely weird sometimes..."
07/18/2010 page 324
88.0% "wish i'm home sick today... badly wants to finish this..."

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Hi Cienne,

Where did you get your copy in Philippines? Where is it available? I wanted to read the original one.. Thanks..

Cienne Olaes I used to work for Powerbooks, so I made a special order. Please check with Greenbelt branch if they still have it, they only ordered few copies then.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan So, I just watched the movie, and I am now wondering if you have seen it as well? I really liked the movie and from what I have read so far I can tell there are some changes, but I'd like to know if you think they are similar enough?