Heather Hamilton's Reviews > These Is My Words

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

Apr 22, 10

bookshelves: absolute-favorites, year-2010, historical-fiction, epistolary, series, book-club
Read from April 05 to 22, 2010 — I own a copy

I was puttin' off pickin' up this book. I was caught up in other stories and wasn't lookin' forward to switchin' gears. I am sorry I wasted time gettin' to this book. It is amazing. I have not found a word that is fittin' -- and I used a thesaurus. I now can understand Angela's infatuation with the audio version. I thought the narrator's voice too deep and her reading pace too slow for me, so I have resurrected my own southern drawl and am reading aloud to myself. It has to be the words, but I am utterly fascinated with my own voice. I am only on page 22.

FINAL REVIEW
I want to purchase this book. I want to have it bronzed and framed in a shadowbox and hung over my kitchen sink. I am ridiculous.

If you like Early American historical fiction at all, you will love this book. I am flabbergasted that this was Nancy Turner's first novel. I can only imagine the pressure she put on herself to put out something as good or better.

Sarah's Quilt is the sequel, but I hear it is heart-breaking. It is followed by The Star Garden. I know life was tough in the 19th century, but I don't know if my heart can quite take the rest of Sarah's story just yet.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Is My Words.

Quotes Heather Liked

Nancy E. Turner
“Children are a burden to a mother, but not the way a heavy box is to a mule. Our children weight hard on my heart, and thinking about them growing up honest and healthy, or just living to grow up at all, makes a load in my chest that is bigger than the safe at the bank,and more valuable to me than all the gold inside it.”
Nancy E. Turner, These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901

Nancy E. Turner
“I have named the star Jack's Star. It is beautiful and bright and gives me joy when it is here and pain when it is not, and every year as Summer approaches I have seen it coming over the hills. I used to think that someday i will learn what educated people have called it and why it is only here sometimes, but now i think it wouldn't matter. It is Jack's Star, and they only have to ask and I will tell them it's name. They will have to ask the star itself where it goes and why it is not content to stay.”

Nancy E. Turner
“I am not sorry, but this has hurt my heart and spirit more than all the other trials, for being forsaken is worse than being killed. (Sept 5, 1881)”

Nancy E. Turner
“That man makes me feel like I have my bonnet on backwards.”

Nancy E. Turner
“Taking up marriage is a good excuse for taking up cursing, I think.”

04/19/2010 page 22
5.73% "Wow."
04/20/2010 page 122
31.77% "Aaargh!" 2 comments
04/20/2010 page 165
42.97% "In 40 pages I have been through disappointment, hope, fear, rage, and sorrow. Whew!"
04/22/2010 page 999
100% "Speechless."

Angela I'm so glad you loved it!!! And I love your drawl! I'm listening to Sarah's quilt right now.

Angela PS - I like the idea of bronzing and framing the book to hang over the kitchen sink!! :)