Emily's Reviews > Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Nov 23, 12

bookshelves: made-an-impression, read-in-2010, read-in-2011, for-college, favorites, read-in-2012, grad-school
Read from March 10 to 12, 2010, read count: 3

This book was so thought-provoking I cannot even talk enough about it. And still, I woudln't know where to start with. It seems such a simple story, but it's not, so full of vivid metaphors and beautiful passages... Even though it's a book about colonization (perhaps the first book of the time which attempted to criticize it?) it also deals with something more general -man and his loneliness in the universe. How one fights to achieve a dream and it finally devours him.

The small negative points in the book I saw: so self-centered on men. As if women weren't able to think about such deep issues. I know it's normal for the time, but it stills annoys me. A lot. And the main character, Marlow, I didn't like him at all! He was so full of himself, thinking he had discovered the TRUTH about the existence. Really, what a jerk. Even Kurtz seemed much more honest that him. Though my favourite character was the Russian boy -he was the purest and the most innocent, even if he's portrayed as some silly little boy impressed by very little and believing eeverything they tell him.

And the style! For such a short story it was so dense, full of long sentences! It's amazing to think Conrad was actually Polish and he learnt English in the sea at the age of sixteen, what a genious!

Anyway, a classic everyone, like it or not eventually, must read.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness.

Quotes Emily Liked

Joseph Conrad
“Your strength is just an accident owed to the weakness of others.”

Joseph Conrad
“We live as we dream--alone....”

Joseph Conrad
“The horror! The horror!”

Joseph Conrad
“We couldn't understand because we were too far... and could not remember because we were traveling in the night of first ages, those ages that had gone, leaving hardly a sign... and no memories.”

03/11/2010 page 78