IslandGirl Reads's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Jun 24, 14

bookshelves: book-club-picks

I thought this was a good read, which gave a mostly accuracte depiction of the relationships between employer and "the help" in the south. The writer did a good job of examining the relationships she introduced in the book. The characters are well-developed, and there is the right combination of suspense and humor.

I applaud Kathleen Stockett for daring to take on this project and really giving a clear picture of what life was like at the time during which the book was written. I admired young Skeeter who just finshed college and struggled to fit into the social circle in her suburban hometome. Instead of following the life her mother laid out for her, she decided she wanted to be a writer. Her own relationship with her maid growing up, gave her cause to ponder the plight of other maids and fueled the project that eventually led her to New York.

My main focus however, was on the maids and their struggle to survive in the midst of social injustice (on the brink of the civil rights movement). Though the two friends were as different in social standing from their employers as day and night, there were very much similar in the sense of being devoted to their work and cherishing family and friendship. Abileen is torn between her role as maid to Ms. Hilly and nanny to her daugher Mae Mobley. Minny, her dear friend and also a maid, is loud and rambuncios......they complement each other well.

I felt the writer wrote from very personal experiences and really wanted to showcase these women for who they really were, not black maids but strong, phenomenal women who loved fiercely and stood up for their rights!! I for one, can't wait to see the movie!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.