Kim's Reviews > Dark Visions

Mar 24, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2010
Read from March 11 to 24, 2010

** spoiler alert ** 2 1/2 stars. This 1/2 stars thing is becoming a trend in my reviews.

I don't want to give it 2 stars because the book kept me entertained. I don't want to give it 3 stars because it had too many flaws.

First of all: the main character, Kaitlyn: she raises the bar for all Mary Sues out there. She is the epitome of Mary Suedom. She's different from everybody else. A witch. An outcast who was so 'ugly' kids dared each other to run up to her and touch her (yes I'm being serious). No friends. People where scared of her because of the ~special color of her eyes. A loner who likes to draw and sees the world with an artist's eye. This girl will eventually blossom *insert hand gestures* and even turns into some kind of leader figure/heroine/here she comes to save the day-kind of girl. *facepalm*

Kaitlyn can the future and because of her special ability, she is asked to participate in some sort of project for special kids. She and 4 other kids agree and they are sent to some sort of house where they all live together, so they can perform tests on them to see just how psychic they are. Each of them has a different power.

Naturally, Kaitlyn falls in love with the first boy she sees (Rob) and in return, everybody is smitten with her because she (what a surprise!) is gorgeous! Even the dangerous killer Gabriel, who killed 2 people so far (not bad for a 17-year old) BUT *insert music* the fact that he didn't mean to kill them... makes it alright! He couldn't control his powers! The audience sighs with relief. Yeah he's just a badboy, rawr.

Rob of course doesn't know what hit him because his mind doesn't work that way. Apparently. He doesn't think of girls in a romantic way. Boys at that age... Like Xander once said: looking at linoleum makes guys want to have sex. But thanks to Kait's dazzling looks and charming personality, Rob will quickly change his mind. The most logical next step is a jealous Gabriel etc etc blah blah. Two completely different guys fighting for the same girl. How original.

The funder of this little project turns out to be an evil mastermind who wants to use those kids for all kind of dark and illegal things (minds out of the gutter, now) but this all becomes clear pretty early on in the story. Kaitlyn, Rob, Gabriel, Anna and Lewis run away to find help, they get caught (more or less), meanwhile Gabriel goes back willingly and suddenly decides he is evil (Kait led him on, the little skank). Then Kait decides to go back and save him (she thinks she's the only one he'll listen to), but then it's her turn to be rejected. Some stuff happens then (boring things, mostly) and eventually Kait and Gabriel hook up. The end.

What I liked a lot was the psychic link between the 5 main characters. They hear each other's thoughts (thanks to Gabriel). You'd think the writer would have used this amazing little gem to build up the relationships, right? Well, she didn't. How she missed that home run is beyond me.

Side note: I know this makes me sound like a pervert but I think the idea of communicating with somebody on such a personal level is very appealing. I'd kill to have something like that with somebody (preferably the love of my life lol)

Let's see... There was a lot of lip curling going on (have you ever seen anybody do that in real life while being serious?), a lot of action, and I have to admit I stayed entertained. Conclusion: good storyline, not enough creativity, could have been something A LOT better. L.J. Smith, it was nice meeting you but I won't be reading any more of your books. I'm sorry, god knows I tried.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Visions.

03/19/2010 page 30
03/21/2010 page 254
34.7% "Starting The Possessed. Enjoyable, but with weird leaps."
07/26/2016 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

~Tina~ I just got this. I don't much like L.J Smiths work but to be honest I've only read her Vampire Diaries books and didn't care for them.
I figured I'd give her another shot...

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Yup, I'm reading it for the same reasons, and the reviews are good so I figured why not. Some things are a bit... I dunno weird. Some things happen way too fast or just come up out of the blue. I can't say what without spoiling you, but I don't think you'll disagree with me.

But I don't have any troubles to keep on reading. (like I did with TVD)

~Tina~ Encouraging news:) Thanks, I'll keep an open mind when I read this then.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Tina, read this book now, I need to get some things of my chest =D

~Tina~ LOL K, I'll read it after The Body Finder which should be soon:)

~Tina~ Couldn't resist reading your review, even while I'm in the mist of attempting to do the same!
Great review! Refreshing as always hun! I'm still struggling with this but I don't wanna give up yet.
I'm already having the same problems though. One thing is for sure, I think this may be my last Smith book as well, the lady is just not doing it for me!

message 7: by Arlene (new)

Arlene LOL Kim! Great review.

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Tina wrote: "Couldn't resist reading your review, even while I'm in the mist of attempting to do the same!
I..."

If you still have a hard time reading it: PUT IT DOWN NOW. IT's not worth it, it doesn't get any better and I'm very surprised I got trough it.

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Arlene wrote: "LOL Kim! Great review.

I have this book on my shelf waiting for it's turn, now I'm not so eager to pick it up... it just fell a few notches. Oh well. :)"

I don't recommend reading it. Read it if you really don't have anything else. (that's never gonna happen)

~Tina~ Kim wrote: "Tina wrote: "Couldn't resist reading your review, even while I'm in the mist of attempting to do the same!

~sigh~ I think I'll take that advise. Thanks!

message 11: by Arlene (new)

Arlene That's what I get for (1) buying books based on good art cover and (2) buying books when I have so many I haven't read yet. Grrr!

message 12: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim @ Tina: very wise.

@ Arlene: I had the same thing with Need and Evermore. I hated both books. Lucky for me I loaned Evermore from friend.

~Tina~ GAH! Don't even get me started on freaken Evermore series! want..to...stab...something!

message 14: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Evermore by Alyson Noel? Please say no... I have the first two and I haven't read those either.

message 15: by ~Tina~ (last edited Mar 24, 2010 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

~Tina~ YuP that's the one. I had the first three books. This is the sad thing. That series is probably one of the hardest books I've ever read, I WANTED to love them so badly. I made it to the 3rd book before I couldn't do it anymore. My review says it all lol
Read the first one hun, seriously, you may feel completely different, this is another hit or miss among a lot of people. As much as I hated it, I still want to love it. Hell, I was thinking about getting the 4th book. I may be in need of a good "being pissed" read one day:P

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Oh hell yes Arlene, I'm sorry. I gave up pretty quickly and then I just started flipping through the pages. I'm told it doesn't get any better, so I'm glad I didn't finish it.

But yes, the cover is gorgeous.

message 17: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Oh crud! Well that's just great. I have three books that are just taking up coveted space on my bookshelf that are just no good. Boooo to that!

Evermore looks like a quick read, but now I'm in absolutely no hurry to get to it.

message 18: by Katharine (new)

Katharine I thought it was "looking at mushrooms makes guys want to have sex". What's this linoleum business?

message 19: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Wow, sorry laaaaate reply xD

It's a line from Buffy The Vampire Slayer :)

Sumaya LOL... i have no idea why but when i read your review it left me smiling and i had to comment... thanks! :)
oh btw totally agree with you on the psychic communication.

message 21: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Laaaate reply, but you're very welcome :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

So true now that I see it. Completely cliche, but I guess it's OK, because it came out in 1994 when all these Mary Sue and Gary Stu characters were invented. Now? Not some much, lol.

message 23: by Kerena (new)

Kerena ali did anyone hear anything about a book 4?

message 24: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim It was announced there would be a 4th one called Blindsight, but I can't find anything else about it online so far.

message 25: by Kerena (new)

Kerena ali Kim wrote: "It was announced there would be a 4th one called Blindsight, but I can't find anything else about it online so far."

thnx :) ... i hope it comes out fas t :)

Forest Huyana Anyone recommend a book VERY similar to this? I love Dark Visions.

message 27: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Darkest Powers Trilogy, or the Morganville series maybe? The first one is called Glass Houses. I don't know if it's what you're looking for but I enjoyed both series very much.