Starfish's Reviews > The Suspicions Of Mr Whicher Or The Murder At Road Hill House

The Suspicions Of Mr Whicher Or The Murder At Road Hill House by Kate Summerscale

Mar 10, 10

bookshelves: joys_of_research, mystery, non-fiction, victorian
Read in March, 2010

I thought that this was going to be a dramatic retelling of the Road House Murder, the real life case that underpins a whole host of the earliest Victorian crime fiction, and was pretty sure that it was going to irritate me, that I was going to be annoyed by its inaccuracies and biases, and that Whicher was going to come off poorly. In actual fact, its a well-written account of the murder investigation, that restrains itself to the facts, but goes deeper with the facts than you might think, even tracing the lives of bit players in the story until the end. What I really admire, however, is how Summerscale has put the story in context, constantly referring to the other famous trials, fiction and views of the time, pointing out how they play into the public perception of the case and vice versa. I am now faced with yet another book I cannot bear to part with which is inconvenient as I am trying to reduce my luggage.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suspicions Of Mr Whicher Or The Murder At Road Hill House.