Lindi's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Jan 04, 11

bookshelves: indy-girl, speculative-fiction, young-adult
Read in January, 2011

Yep. It's exciting and shocking and sad and satisfying and all that, but maybe it is just that working in a school where I have 3rd and 4th graders clamoring to read it has left a sour taste in my mouth. Don't mistake me -- I couldn't put it down, and not only because I took it home yesterday even though it should have been on the Hold shelf for one of those 4th graders so I felt I had to read fast to assuage my conscience.

No, it is that I am very uncomfortable with the whole voyeuristic thing. I get that Collins is commenting on our society's obsession with entertainment that is based either on gratuitous violence or watching "real" people emotionally implode. So of course it makes sense to marry the two genres with the ultimate reality show.

How many of her readers get it though? Considering that it's classified YA... It's for similar reasons that I didn't continue with the Steig Larsson books. Just how is it okay to comment on violence against women with so much graphic violence against women?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.