Elizabeth K.'s Reviews > The Night Tourist

Mar 23, 10

bookshelves: 2010-new-reads
Recommended to Elizabeth by: VSC Discussion Book
Read in March, 2010

It was our VSC book for March. I felt there was a lot of agreement at the meeting.

In general, the concept was terrific. New York story, underworld, what's not to like. Most of the NYC city things were terrific, but there were a few that felt more like they were shoehorned in for the sole purpose of tacking on another secret New York venue. In contrast, see perfect NYC kidlit books where every locale serves to move the plot forward appropriately: From the Mixed Up Files ..., Cricket in Times Square, Stuart Little. (And you know, I hate that creepy mouse book, but it IS a great use of New York City.)

This was one of those books that was frustrating in that it felt like it could have been a lot better with very minimal effort. Other than the classical scholar thing, Jack isn't exactly a super genius. No father IN THE WORLD would send a sick kid to NYC alone on MetroNorth. I am still completely confused about who was the guy in the den riffling through the desk. Did he ever come back in the story at all?

But it was suspenseful, the ghostly stuff was mostly cool, and I think kids who like more complicated plots (it's mysterIOUS, but not exactly a mysterY) would enjoy it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Tourist.

Susann I should just copy and paste your review onto my page!