Jenben8426's Reviews > Among the Barons

May 02, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: kids-picture-books, young-adult
Read in May, 2010

In the 4th book of the series Shadow Children, Haddix resumes Luke's story at Hendrick's School For Boys. The boys, most of whom are illegal third children, are learning to come out of their shells as they learn that the school is a haven for them and their secret identities. Luke is becoming one of the more popular ones and is helping others to adjust while trying to plot against the government and their position on third children. Everything is going well, until Smits--Luke's younger brother of his new identity shows up on campus. Luke must figure out why he is here and what that means for his fake identity. Problems only continue when Luke, who is now Lee Grant, is asked to go to his fake family's home. How will he ever pass for Lee to so many different people?

I think this series is good but a bit too drawn out. I think even though Haddix was writing this for children, she still could have combined some of her books. It just feels a little choppy to me. I appreciated the detailed look into the life of a Baron--or wealthy citizen. The inequality that the country is facing is quickly coming to light. The government is not all that it seems and Luke is learning a lot about what he can do in this whole mess. Overall an okay book, but it would be nice if there weren't seven of them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Barons.