Hayden's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Jul 25, 14

bookshelves: mindfuck-of-a-mc, dont-get-why-its-so-appealing, love-interest-is-a-dick, amateur-author, awkward, blurred-opinion, cover-made-me-shit-bricks, dreadfully-boring-mc, ending-rocked, friends-hate-it, funny, lots-of-action, main-character-deserves-death, mega-awesome-cover, own-it, series-just-end-already, this-series-might-be-okay, wish-it-was-a-standalone, ★★
Recommended to Hayden by: the cover (OMG amazing)
Recommended for: people who like dicky love interests and painfully boring MCs and will look at the positive side
Read from October 08 to 14, 2011, read count: 2

Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

My first experience with Hush, Hush was over a year ago, and between then and now, I've read about 300 other books.

I can safely say Hush, Hush is not the YA prodigy I once thought it was. I've noticed a lot of things about the book I didn't notice the first time, and I wasn't in love with it as much (if you recall, I gave it five stars). The point of this review is that I have read the book again and that I have some different viewpoints than I did the first time.

I'm going to start with my first addition, and it's going to be a positive one: Vee Sky kicks ass. In fact, I'd rather the entire book be written from her perspective, because while sometimes she may be dumber than a bucket of fried chicken, she's a hell of a lot more interesting than Nora.

Example One: "Can we please talk about sex now?" -Vee, page 38

Example Two: "You've got food stuck in the crack between your two front teeth. Looks like chocolate Ex-Lax. . . ." -Vee, page 45

Example Three: "Mr. Green Sweater looks normal, but his wingman looks hardcore bad boy. Emits a certain don't-mess-with-me signal. Tell me he doesn't look like Dracula's spawn." -Vee, page 57

This brings me to addition #2: Nora Grey is boring. Not plot-drags-but-interesting-character boring. Character-sucks-and-thinks-nothing-exciting, black-hole-of-a-character boring. I think her last name being Grey is pretty ironic and was planned, if I do say so myself, because Nora Grey has nothing interesting or spunky or exciting to offer the world of young adult fiction.

This brings me to addition #3: Nora Grey is definitely a full-fledged masochist. Patch is obviously trouble with a capital T and from the very first time he walked onto the page, I knew it, but for some reason, Nora chooses to accept him as her newfangled toy when really he's trying (and failing) to kill her. Or maybe he's not; it's never really revealed what his ulterior motives are. But one thing's for sure: Patch is nothing but pain and trouble, yet Nora falls hard for him. I really think she likes the pain.

This brings me to addition #4: Patch.
Patch, oh, Patch, what the hell is your problem? I think Patch is the worst YA toy ever to have been created. You're not just a joker and probably a pedophile; you're mean, narcissistic, and couldn't care less about other people (except for Nora, for some reason I obviously can't determine).

This brings me to addition #5: Elliot. Elliot is someone I never really trusted when he first sauntered onto the page, and it becomes apparent why later, or at least you think so. The characters aren't exactly deep, and Elliot is no exception. The characters don't exactly have problems, except for Nora, but her problems are dumb and pointless. The characters' actions seem very contrived and stilted; they don't seem like people I'd actually talk to in real life. Good characterization is something that's very hard to do right, and I'm sorry to say that Fitzpatz totally failed the test.

This brings me to addition #6: Jules. Jules never really got a big role in the book until the end, and I kind of feel bad for him. I think he would've been a fucking awesome character to have developed more throughout the book.

This brings me to addition #7: the plot. Thank God that in the year-plus of me not reading this book, I forgot everything about the book except for Nora's name, so by the time I got to the climax, I was still trying to figure out who it was that was behind everything. I wasn't as interested in the plot as I remember, and a lot of things I'm realizing are different than when I first read them.

That brings me to #8: this review is now over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.

Quotes Hayden Liked

Becca Fitzpatrick
“I want to do a lot of things to your body, but that's not one of them.”
Becca Fitzpatrick, Hush, Hush

Becca Fitzpatrick
“If I'd wanted you dead five minutes ago, you'd have died five minutes ago.”
Becca Fitzpatrick, Hush, Hush

10/09/2011 page 1
0.0% "Going to give this another go-round. Hopefully, I find it nearly as good as I did the first time."
10/09/2011 page 7
2.0% "That prologue needs to take the stick out of its ass and just be normal. God, anything would be better."
10/09/2011 page 8
2.0% "Nora's only a sophomore? It's hard to imagine she's my age. She seems a lot older; all YA heroines do."
10/09/2011 page 18
5.0% "You guys are right. Patch is a fucking creep."
10/09/2011 page 20
5.0% "Long, lean muscles down his arms, broad but relaxed shoulders, a smile that was part playful, part seductive . . . and a rapist-like personality."
10/09/2011 page 42
11.0% "Dear Nora, If you feel uncomfortable around Patch, yet you yearn for him when he's not there, you are a severe masochist. Sincerely, Readers."
10/09/2011 page 61
16.0% "It's okay, Nora; I understand: when you're around a normal guy like Elliot, you tense up, because he doesn't have the same stalker-like qualities as Patch. Understandable. *snickers*"
10/09/2011 page 81
21.0% "Yeah fucking right he's not what she expected!"
10/09/2011 page 125
32.0% ""I'm not scared of you." Wow . . . that line sounds so familiar. I think I've read it in a different crappy YA novel." 2 comments
10/09/2011 page 141
36.0% "While this book may not be the best, it's definitely interesting once you hit this point."
show 3 hidden updates…

Izzy Y' know you're righht! Fallen angels is the new vampires.

Now the question remains: is that a good or bad thing?

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) Well... me... But I will not be a troll, but this book had me yelling. In public. On the train... so I had to stop. Mainly because PATCH IS NOT A NICE GUY. But I do want a poster of that sweet, sexy cover!

Anila Oh, Hayden.
We can still be friends, but...
...but...
I'm going to quietly pretend this rating and review doesn't exist, mkay?

Cait Just turn a blind eye, Anila, turn a blind eye........

It doesn't even exist........

message 5: by John (new) - rated it 1 star

John Egbert What rating and review, Anila?

Hayden Anila wrote: "Oh, Hayden.
We can still be friends, but...
...but...
I'm going to quietly pretend this rating and review doesn't exist, mkay?"

This is the first time I read this book. Going to rewrite it with things I noticed after reading 300+ books since.

Anila Allll beeeeetter.

It exists now.

I did wonder why it had appeared in my feed all of a sudden. That explains it. Cheers for the new review!

Izzy Piece of advice: if you really hated thus book, don't read crescendo, the sequel. Otherwise, you're gonna use a lot more curse words.

Hayden Izzy wrote: "Piece of advice: if you really hated thus book, don't read crescendo, the sequel. Otherwise, you're gonna use a lot more curse words."

Already read it, and I have a feeling I won't be enthralled with this re-read.

message 10: by Izzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Izzy @Hayden you will throw it against the wall and then write all over it like in three cups of tea.