Chris's Reviews > Aucassin and Nicolette, and Other Mediaeval Romances and Legends

Aucassin and Nicolette, and Other Mediaeval Romances and Legends by Eugene Mason

There is something about Mediaeval Romances that modern day romances lack. Take for instance, "Aucassin and Nicolette". On the face of it, the story might look too simple, two lovers and his father doesn't like the girl. Yet, there is something far more touching about Aucassin's repeating "my sweet friend" when describing Nicolette. Somehow it makes his love seem far more real. I was even willing to forgive him his rather sexists views about women and love. (I actually wanted to introduce him to Anne from Persuasion and let her talk to him).

Most of the other tales are similar to others. For instance, there is a form of Marie de France's "Lanvel". There is a fore runner of Shakespeare's Cymbeline. Of an interest, however, are the tale of King Florus and Jehne, which features one of those crossing dressing heroines that Shakespeare so likes. Also of interst is the "Tal of Asrenth", which is about Joseph's Egyptian wife.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aucassin and Nicolette, and Other Mediaeval Romances and Legends.