Jasmin's Reviews > Echoes

Mar 18, 10

bookshelves: romance, reviewed-by-me
Recommended for: Masochists
Read from March 09 to 18, 2010 — I own a copy

This book exhausted me. I really don't like giving low ratings, but this book sucked the life out of me, that I couldn't even give it 3 stars.

Looking at the back, I would think it was all a love story and all about Clare and David, but in the first few pages, there were so many characters in it, I couldn't tell who from who. Probably blame it to me just reading at a moving vehicle, but still! First 300 pages were meant to emphasize how different Clare and David were. No romance or whatsoever. And a little pages meant for Angela O Hara's miserable life.

When it finally reached page 300, the characters just suddenly blurted out that they loved each other. Really frustrating for a book which I patiently read 300 pages for, plus the fact that the book had a really tiny font and letters looked stuck to each other.

Anyway, I willed myself to finish this book. Perseverance paid off, only to end up in more than a stack of disappointment. Clare had a really really bright future ahead of her. But she settled with David. She lost her career, and was stuck at home, taking care of her daughter and endlessly trying to please her mother in law.

But that's not the worst part. Despite her sacrifices, damn David Powers had to have an affair.

But the worst part isn't over. Maeve Binchy had to end the book with a cliffhanger.

This is actually the first Maeve Binchy book I read, and I'll probably pick not another of her works in the future.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echoes.

Quotes Jasmin Liked

Maeve Binchy
“I'll understand if you don't want me. But I will be heartbroken. You are all I ever dreamed of and hoped for. You are much, much more. Please know that I didn't think I was mean-minded. But I realize I am. I don't want you to put your arms around me and say it's all right, that you forgive me. I want you to be sure that you do, and my love for you will last as long as I live. I can see no lightness, no humour, no joke to make. I just hope that we will be able to go back to when we had laughter, and the world was coloured, not black and white and grey. I am so sorry for hurting you. I could inflict all kinds of pain on myself, but it would not take back any I gave to you. - David Power”
Maeve Binchy, Echoes

03/09/2010 page 16
show 8 hidden updates…

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg I agree with your review of this book. This not one of Maeve Binchy's best books. But, I encourage you to not let this one "off" book stop you from reading her other novels. She was a fantastic author.