J.Elle's Reviews > The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

208599
Apr 16, 10

Read in March, 2010

I think two things combined to make me really like this book (and like it significantly more that the prior three in the series). First, I'm finally starting to like Percy. (Liking the hero always makes a big difference.) Yes, he's still a clueless male who has absolutely no idea that his friend, Annabeth, likes him, but he's suddenly thinking more like an adult. And second, I just finished reading what may have been the worst series ever. Which put me in a frame of mind to LOVE anything that wasn't half-bad. This book was very good though. It lacked some of the confusing elements that the other three books featured: like too many different gods/lesser gods/creatures popping in that you were supposed to be familiar with. This helped with the flow of the story. Also, this book reminded me of that fabulous 80's movie starring Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie (in some awesomely revolting spandex creations), "The Labrinth" and I love that movie (minus the spandex, please). I've put the final book in the series on hold at the library and I have high hopes for it.

Aside: I finally realized that this series is eerily similar in set-up to Harry Potter, but for some reason, this doesn't bother me too much. Possibly because Harry Potter is far, far superior.

Click here for my review on the next (and final) book in the series: The Last Olympian

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Battle of the Labyrinth.