Josiah's Reviews > Do-It-Yourself Book

Do-It-Yourself Book by Jeff Kinney

1914201
Mar 09, 10

Well now, this book turned out to be a terrific surprise! One might look at this Do-It-Yourself edition of Jeff Kinney's wildly popular series and label it a knockoff merchandise item, but that would be far from accurate. While it's true that the second half of the book is made up of blank pages to allow the owner to use it as his or her own personal journal (not diary, as Greg would remind you!), the first half of the book is comprised of the same kind of brilliant comedic writing that makes the other Diary of a Wimpy Kid books such hilarious and fun reading material. In fact, I might go as far as to say that this book is the funniest of the entire series. We see many more of the cartoon strips written by Greg Heffley, comics centered around Creighton the Cretin, and the man with very red lips and several others, as well. In my mind, the funniest part of the book is the section of questions from Rowley; it absolutely had me in stitches.

Another great thing about this book is the questionnaires provided for the reader, on everything ranging from personal likes and dislikes to plans (or predictions) for the future, from the opportunity to write advice from you to your future self, and fill-in-the-blanks tests to discern what you really think about everything and everyone. Of course, now, these questionnaires are very much tongue-in-cheek and often completely facetious, but they will get your mind moving in new and interesting directions, and they are all a lot of fun to do.

This book surpassed my expectations by a long shot, and I think that many readers who have passed by it due to the differences between it and the other books in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series should think about giving this one a chance. I am very pleased that I did.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Do-It-Yourself Book.