Mike's Reviews > Collected Fictions

Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges

Apr 25, 10

Recommended to Mike by: Jason Smith
Recommended for: mirrors, labyrinths, and knife fighters
Read in March, 2010, read count: 1

The first time I met the master it was in a dream—for what is youth but nocturnal fancy of old age. His face was covered in stone, like an idol. Neither of us spoke. We may have been in a place where words were forbidden or impossible. In haste, fearful of the dawn, I stripped his features with a cast-iron chisel. They say the barbarian quarries what he occupies in order to supplant the defeated power with his own, and that history (and biography) is created to make secret this recurrent cannibal genesis.

During the operation the old man was docile, submitting to the chisel as if he were receiving a haircut. Even if I could have spoke there was no assurance I could have made; murder is best performed in silence. I threw his body into a well.

I naively sought to build something of my own from the ruined pieces of his face, maybe an astrolabe or a chessboard. My efforts were interrupted by a man who was astonished to no longer be a bull, or who was the dream of a bull—summoned by my crime—a bull dreaming to be a man of justice. He carried with him two identical knives. "I cannot allow this review to continue", he said, tossing one of the twin blades to the dusty ground at my feet.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collected Fictions.

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim I've been reading your reviews lately, Mike, and I'm beginning to wonder whether, if they were to be linked together, they might form a novel of their own.

Mike :)

message 3: by The (new)

The Amen. Your reviews are the best.

Mike Thanks, Hitmaker.