Arlene's Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Aug 18, 2014

bookshelves: favorites, read-2011, arc, autographed, reviews-with-music, rock-stars-need-luv-2, top-ten-of-all-time
Recommended to Arlene by: ARC - Alexa... Thank you!
Recommended for: Fans of The Piper's Son
Read from January 29 to 30, 2011

Undeniably 5 Shooting Stars!!

Adam’s Promise: If you stay, I’ll do whatever you want. I’ll quit the band; go with you to New York. But if you need me to go away, I’ll do that too. .. And that would suck, but I’ll do it. I can lose you like that, if I don’t lose you today. I’ll let you go. If you stay.

Fans of If I Stay who thought the story concluded after Mia’s choice will experience the post trauma that not only changed her life, but altered Adam’s happiness. In Where She Went, we face the aftermath of the recovery and begin to wonder whether Mia really survived the crash as it becomes evident that choosing to live is only half the battle. As a result Adam must face the pain of honoring a promise that was made to hold on to the one he loves.

This story takes place three years after the crash and Mia’s physical recovery. She’s a rising star at Juilliard and Adam is a celebrity of the rock band Shooting Star that finds himself at a crossroads. The story is told in Adam’s perspective and begins the night he makes a choice to revisit the muse of his success.

The writing is raw and powerful and my emotions were on high alert right alongside Adam’s the entire time. Gayle Forman’s powerful prose explores grief, pain, and the possibility of rekindling a spark surrounded by chaos.

I've been impatient to get my hands on this book as soon as I heard it was coming out, and it didn’t disappoint one bit. I love it to pieces and I read it over the course of two days, not because I couldn’t finish it in one sitting, but because I wanted to experience Adam’s journey in a way that would allow me to internalize his emotions and understand his pain. But most of all, his lyrics at the beginning of most chapters had me stopping to appreciate Forman's ability to express her characters in song.

If the story ends here, I think it’s a two book series well concluded. I’m not saying everything is wrapped up in a pretty red bow, but I will say I have hope. Beautifully done!!

Thank you Alexa for sharing with me this story that I will cherish. It’s one that will definitely make my top five this year! Thank you! Thank you! Tina… you’re next. :D

Quotes that moved me:
I want to cut through the space that separates us, measured in feet – not miles, not continents, not years - and I want to touch her to make sure it’s really her... but I can’t touch her, it’s a privilege that’s been revoked. Against my will but still.

I battle with invisible waves and imaginary vortexes and demons that are all too real and of my own making, I actually feel something in my chest open, a feeling so intense, it’s like my heart’s about to burst. And I just let it. I just let it out.

I needed to hate someone and you’re the one I love the most, so it fell on you.

Then she lost the battle and started to cry…All my annoyance melted. “You dumb-ass,” I crooned, kissing her on the forehead. “You don’t share me. You own me.”

I’m calm. My chips are all cashed out. There’s nothing to lose. Or, maybe I’ve already lost it and found it, and whatever else there might be to lose, it’s got nothing to do with what’s on stage.

Vindicated – Dashboard Confessional

Waiting for the End – Linkin Park

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

01/30 page 140
54.0% "Oh Adam... :(" 11 comments
02/09 marked as: read

~Tina~ Yay's! Happy Reading! Hug Adam for meeeeeeeee!

Alexa EEEKK! That was fast. :D Enjoy!

Arlene Thanks Tina!! I'm finishing Darkfeaver tonight and reading WSW tomorrow so I can ship it to you Monday.

Alexa thank you soooo much!!! Perfect timing for the weekend. You are the bestest!!!! MUAH!!

~Tina~ ~happy dance~ Can't wait!! GAWD I can't wait to read this. I'm dying to know if they get there HEA!! ~bounces~ Have fun with this and take your time hun!

message 5: by Anna (last edited Jan 28, 2011 11:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna OH.MY.GOD!!!! I'm sooooooooooo jealoussssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!! Arlene, I'm moving to your house just for a week, ok? :oD
I can't waaaaaaaaait!!!
((This can sound silly but.....what's HEA????))
Happy reading and tell Adam I'm waiting for him <3

~Tina~ ^^ HEA just means Happily Ever After. I want it badly for these characters:)

Anna Thanks!! Then I want HEA too! :oD

Albie46 Talk about Jealous!
I"m hoping for a HEA too!

Arlene @ Anna. LOL!! I hope you get a copy soon. :)

@ Albie, I'm starting this now. So excited. :D

message 10: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Arlene, I'm jealous like you wouldn't believe. Very happy for you, though. :)

message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna @Arlene, I'll get a copy as "soon" as it comes out (April!!!! Arghhhhhhh). I've been tempted to buy it in French but I do not know French (mmm....maybe I should take French lessons... ;oP)

Kathryn soooo jealous !!!

Flannery Shooting stars? Oh man. I have If I Stay on audiobook from the library. Looks like I'll have to listen to it next:-) Great review, Arlene.

Arlene Thanks Flannery! I love both books I hope you enjoy!

Shooting Stars is the name of Adam's band. I was being snarky. LOLOL

Flannery Well it totally worked double time because I thought you were just saying that it was beyond the regular star rating:-)

Arlene Oh it's beyond the regular rating. Definitely beyond. This book was awesome! It reminded me of Piper's Son.

Kathryn is there a third book? or is this it?

message 18: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Undeniably awesome review! I am excited and nervous to read this book. I don't want it to be too sad. But then you said it reminds you of The Piper's Son and I LOVE that book :)

message 19: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Man, now I have to read this, If I Stay, AND Pipers Son! I am never going to get anything else done...

Jessica Oh God, those quotes are breaking my heart! *sniffles*

Awesome review, Arlene! I really can't wait to read this.

message 21: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna I need this book so bad that it hurts!! *sigh*
And I'm buying Piper's son :o)

Albie46 Arlene, is this one of those 'appropriate' endings i so dread??

message 23: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (Piper's son is out of stock )o: )

message 24: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic The Piper's Son doesn't come out internationally until March 2011. I think you can pre-order it though :)

message 25: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Nic, thank you :o) The hardback edition comes out on March 8th. I'll have to wait! I'm always waiting and I'm not a very patient person :o)

message 26: by Brooke (last edited Jan 31, 2011 03:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brooke I CAN'T WAIT! Sorry. I'm that excited. ;oD

I love those quotes too! Awh.

~Tina~ Gawd! What an awesome review. Those quotes? I'm already melting. Okay, I have to go before I ask for spoilers lol! Great review Arlene!

~Tina~ I’m not saying everything is wrapped up in a pretty red bow, but I will say I have hope.

This is making me nervous!!!!!

Brooke Haha, Tina - I'm sure glad you read fast ;D

~Tina~ I'll make sure I send it express Brooke, I don't want you wanting a month to get this!

message 31: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Fabulous review, Arlene! As if I didn't already want to read this bad enough. :)

Alexa Really great review, Arlene! :) Love the quotes you included. Adam <3

Arlene @ Kathryn, not sure if there's a third book, but at this point I don't think there needs to be. I'll look into it thought to see. I love Foreman's writing, so I'd be excited for any book release she has coming in the future.

@ Albie. LOLOL you'll never let me forget that "appropriate" comment. Hahaha, this book ended the way it should... appropriately. :D

Arlene Tina, Nic, Lyndsey, Jessica, Brooke, Lora thank you! I thought so much about what I wanted to say and I forgot to include a song I thought about for Adam for his ending, so when you all read the book, I'll share it with you.

Arlene Alexa, thank you so much for sharing the book with me. I can't express how much I ♥ this book. What a great weekend I had reading it. Thank you! Thank you!

Okay, I need to PM you I just have to talk about it!!!

Arlene I'm sending it express to you today Tina. I'm going on my lunch hour and sending this off. I can't wait for you to read it! Squeeeeeeeeeeee!

~Tina~ Thanks sweetie!!! I can't WAIT to discuss this with you and Alexa!!

message 38: by Alexa (last edited Jan 31, 2011 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa Yes, I need to talk about it with someone.

Arlene Sounds good Tina!

Alexa, I just PM'ed you. XD

message 40: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy I can't wait to read this! Not too much longer to wait now. Yay five stars! Awesome review Arlene!

Arlene Thank you Lucy. I'm sure you'll love it. It was perfect!

~Tina~ "Undeniably 5 Shooting Stars!!"

Haha!! I just caught that ^^ That's freaken awesome lol!!

btw...Vindicated – Dashboard Confessional is a great song!

Arlene LOL I guess you have to read the book to get that, hahaha I had to explain to Flann I was being snarky. :D

Thanks!

message 44: by Loni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loni Flowers Really great review! If I Stay moved me so much and I cannot wait to get my hands on this book.

Arlene Thank you Loni! When you do get it I'm sure you'll love it. Pretty awesome book IMO. :)

Jasprit Great review Arlene, looks like this will be another awesome book can't wait!! :)

Arlene I hope you get to read it soon Jasprit. I loved the book! :D

Ariana I have a feeling that my next 5-stars-book will be this one :)

Arlene Highly likely Ari. I hope you read it soon! :)

Saika Kibria your review is so good! you make the book pretty self-explanatory!

« previous 1