Weinz's Reviews > Even the Dogs

Even the Dogs by Jon McGregor

Dec 04, 13

Read from March 07 to 09, 2010

Bear with me

We won this book. We felt we had to read it. The second person plural POV was distracting and the random stream of consciousness made it an easy but not exactly enjoyable read. We didn't appreciate the fractured sentence structure or starting thoughts and sentences and occasionally never finishing those thoughts and sentences. Our assessment of

Karen's excitement for it made us move it to the top of our to-read pile. Pancakes. We had high hopes for

Sentences would start but never

And we like depression and different views of society. We understood the edgy style and the drug addled view of the horrors of addiction. All done without dialogue. Hockey pucks. We must

The disjointed storyline combined with lack of punctuation and multiple characters made us yearn for beautifully constructed sentences. Second person plural POV really distracting. Pumpkin Seeds are

and The End.

Ms. Karen, If you still want it I'll send it to you. :)

46 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Even the Dogs.

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt So was the narrator a British royal lady or did he just have a mouse in his pocket (who was also addicted to heroin)?

Weinz Elizabeth wrote: "Sentences that never finished and stream of consciousness? Was the author channeling James Joyce and in his drug induced stupor thought there were two of them a la A Beautiful Mind?"

:) It was less of a Joyce-like stream and more like an Eggers stream of nonsensical ramblings.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Michelle wrote: "It was less of a Joyce-like stream and more like an Eggers stream of nonsensical ramblings.

message 4: by karen (new)

karen nah, i bought it already, but thank you a bunch. sorry it was such a bust. i really liked if nobody speaks of remarkable things, so i was really looking forward to it. i will still read it, but it sounds tedious.

Weinz Ok, a slightly used copy up for grabs. Anybody? Stephen?

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Great review, m'am. I'm always bugged when crapass writing is framed as innovation.

Alan we feel it's a shame, such a promising young English writer (not many of them around), who's first book we enjoyed, now coming unstuck. Was it overambition we wonder?

Weinz Thanks, RA

Others may like it. It just wasn't my bag.

Alan, we think if you enjoyed his first you should give this one a shot. Don't listen to us.

Alan OK probably will as it's in the local library.

message 10: by karen (new)

karen did you read the second one, alan?? cuz i didn't because of my stupid "save one book" policy. but i wonder if i should read that one and "save" this one?? such a dilemma.

message 11: by Alan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alan no haven't read the second one yet. What's your stupid 'save one book' policy?

Weinz Yes, I'm intrigued as well.

I think we all have our "rules".

message 13: by karen (new)

karen well, when i first discovered cormac mccarthy, i ran out and read everything in the span of a few months. this was before he had written no country and there was this long period during which he didn't write anything. and i started to get scared. because he is no spring chicken. and then finally he wrote that one and the road etc, but the fear was in place. so i decided to "save" one book from authors i like as insurance just in case someone dies and i will never get anything else. there have been accidents - i could not hold back on donald harington, and then he recently passed, so i am fucked, but i do still have a couple of dfw stories and the math book, which i will have to be pretty desperate to read, but at least i still have. it's silly and morbid, but it is firmly in place.

message 14: by Alan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alan good policy, I think I kind of do it inadvertently - I still have McCarthys to read. Even with Henry Green, my favourite author, I'm only just reading his last book now (Uncollected), and he's been dead over 30 years. Mind you the book's only been out about 5 years.

message 15: by John (new)

John thanks for the warn-off - i'll stick to dfw for depression and life sentences...

message 16: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick Barber I'm enjoying it so far but your review made me laugh out loud. The experimentalness does get trying. Keeps sucking me in though.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim We enjoy witty reviews...

message 18: by Tara (new)

Tara Chevrestt I have no interest in this book whatsoever but what a funny review! :)

message 19: by Bill (new)

Bill Yeah...really fabulous review Michelle...it actually made me laugh out loud. I just got the book out of the library, having enjoyed his first book, but don't know whether I'll read it now.

message 20: by David (last edited May 06, 2010 10:37AM) (new)

David Oh wow. I entered to win this book in the GR giveaway, but just because of the purty cover and not because I knew anything about it.

(Oh, and also because I really wanted to win a book and 99.9% of the other books that they give away are about pirates having anal sex with Apache chiefs.)

message 21: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick Barber I loved your review Michelle, and also it was what made me give up on trying to read this book. So I'm grateful. Cheers.

Weinz ahhh yes but it took you a couple months to realize it. Does it always take you this long to listen to wise women warning you from harm? :)

message 23: by Bill (new)

Bill yeah michelle, i decided not to read it as soon as i read your review.

Weinz I'm teasing really. It is just my humble opinion that this book sucked. Just not my taste. Others have loved it so who am to keep you from reading pure crap driven drivel?

Bill, there are many other books out there I'm sure you would enjoy. I heard Imperial Bedrooms is getting a lot of buzz lately.

message 25: by Bill (new)

Bill Funny you should mention that book...I've got a signed copy coming soon, courtesy of a good friend on goodreads.

I'm reading The Lacuna by Barabara Kingsolver right now and it's really good...you might want to try that one. I've never read any of her other books.

message 26: by karen (new)

karen see how he refers to me as "a good friend" because he is afraid you will firebomb everything connected with me because my enthusiasm over this book made you read something crappy.

your reaction made me put it on the back burner too, though.

careful with that power, now...

message 27: by Alan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alan err, I 'loved' it.. just finished and am shattered and moved by it. Yes it's a bit tricksy but there's a deep power, I think, in this crap-driven drivel.

Nearly, actually, gave it 5 stars, but it's not perfect. Thinking about the review at the moment...

Sovay I loved this book, but I loved your review even more.