Catherine's Reviews > Never Love A Lawman

Never Love A Lawman by Jo Goodman

Oct 25, 10

bookshelves: historical, romance, western, series, excellent
I own a copy

While this book wasn't my favorite by Jo Goodman I definitely enjoyed it. I loved the interactions between the two main characters. Jo Goodman has a definite talent for making every dialogue exchange seem meaningful and filled with undercurrents. Most all of the conversations Rachel and Wyatt had seemed to be filled with sly wit and dry humor. They were muted, but definitely there.

I love how the characters are as much of a mystery to the reader as they are to each other. I enjoy watching the character's personalities and feelings slowly unfold right alongside the other characters. By the time I finish the book I feel confident in the hero and heroine's relationship because I feel that after watching them grow together I know them well enough to predict that they can weather any problem together.

I felt that Rachel and Wyatt's personalities meshed very well. Wyatt's easygoing attitude amused me when tested against Rachel's more intractable moods. I thought that both characters were fully fleshed out although I think more time was spent on developing Rachel than exploring Wyatt's character.

I enjoyed the side characters and felt that were fleshed out pretty well. It didn't seem like they were written in just to provide a foil to the main characters. I loved the feel of the period and the small glimpse into the life of people who lived then. It all felt very authentic to me, although I'm definitely no expert.

Even though I enjoyed the story I did have some issues with a few things. I felt uncomfortable when Wyatt sprang the conditions tied to the inheritance on Rachel. It definitely wasn't his fault but I still didn't like the fact that it was a requirement. I know he told Rachel his reasons for their reduced interaction before that point but I never really agreed with them. Also, I wanted to smack Rachel when she decided to keep a dangerous encounter that occurred at her house to herself instead of sharing it with Wyatt. I felt like I didn't understand her at all right then.

All in all it was a good book and one that I'll reread.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Love A Lawman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review Catherine!! Sounds like an interesting book!!

Catherine Thanks! I really enjoyed it! But then again, I seem to enjoy all of this author's books. She has a very subtle but deep, descriptive style that I enjoy immersing myself in.

message 3: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell That's great to hear! What other books has this author wrote?

Catherine I really enjoyed If His Kiss Is Wicked by her. Her Compass Club series seems to be popular. That consists of Let Me Be The One, Everything I Ever Wanted, All I Ever Needed, and Beyond A Wicked Kiss. I did enjoy those, but not all of them as much as some of her others.

message 5: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell That's a great list!! I'll have to check them out!!

Catherine She has a very distinct style. I can't think of anyone to compare her to. So, since I'm not for sure her style will agree with you, you might want to just buy one and try it out.

I love her and have a hard time wrapping my head around those who don't, but they're out there. :)

FYI: The Compass Club books take place at almost the same time. As you read the first book you'll get a few interactions with the other characters, but you'll also get a mention of it in their book too. Don't worry, it's not redundant.

LethalLovely~As Long as We're Going Down, Great review, Catherine! The only book I've read by Goodman is Crystal Passion & that was so long ago-although its on one of my various bookshelves-that I feel like I really need to give her another go. If a book isn't one of you favorites but still gets a 5-star rating, how could I not?

message 8: by Catherine (last edited Oct 26, 2010 04:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine Thanks!

I'm not usually a Western person but I liked it. Hopefully you'll enjoy it. :)

message 9: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Catherine wrote: "She has a very distinct style. I can't think of anyone to compare her to. So, since I'm not for sure her style will agree with you, you might want to just buy one and try it out.

I love her an..."

Thanks Catherine!!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Good review :) Looks interesting ;)

Catherine Thanks, Greta.