Stef's Reviews > Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl

F 50x66
Mar 09, 10

Read in January, 2006

Great and FUN story - but I would recommend talking with your kids about it too!

I *LOVED* this book as a kid and re-read it as an adult to preview it for my niece and nephew. I was a little surprised about the story I remembered and the story that *is*. It's honestly brutal about farm life (shooting the foxes) and fantastical all in the same breath - which is fun. The three human characters are almost exact caricatures of alcoholism, gluttony, etc.

Mr. Fox definitely isn't a role model in his stealing to survive...because it was his stealing that got him in the stitch he is now...but, the story is very very fun and moves fast. I still recommend it, but think that it also might be a great way for moms/dads to talk with their kids about right/wrong...especially after the part where Mr. Fox is confronted by one of the other animals about their stealing.

Still a great story and I still recommend it! I love the idea of a little underground village where all the little animals live in relative peace with no fear or threat and outsmarting the mean farmers (which is what I remember about the book from my childhood)!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantastic Mr. Fox.