Amanda's Reviews > Creators: From Chaucer and Durer to Picasso and Disney

Creators by Paul  Johnson

Jul 06, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, history
Read from March 09 to July 06, 2010

This book was full of great information! I especially enjoyed the chapters on Chaucer, Austen, Bach, Picasso, and Disney.

This books gives you a glimpse of what it takes to be an innovator and creative leader. Through the lives of some of the greatest creators of our time, Johnson explores what makes someone great in the creative world. The dedication and determination exemplified throughout the pages of this book is truly inspiring. I think anyone who has aspirations to be a crator, whether a writer or artists or musician, should take time to understand what made these creators stand out above the rest.

There are only two real criticism I have for this book. First, that the only female studied is Jane Austen. Perhaps, because women did not get the same chances as men, there are not as many influential females to pick from. But I wonder if there are some that are excluded that should have been recognized.

Secondly, sometimes the chapters were bogged down with detail. Although, the overall message of the chapter would hold my interest, I sometimes felt there was to much information provided (at least for me, who has not read anything on these individuals before this book). I found, coming to the end of the book, that not all of the information stuck with me, only the oversweeping message of each chapter.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creators.

03/09/2010 page 17
03/11/2010 page 54
16.88% "I now know Chaucers profound influence on the english language. This is turning out to be a great history lesson :)"
03/12/2010 page 94
29.38% ""A deliberate plan is not always necessary for the highest art; it emerges.""
03/16/2010 page 136
42.5% "The authors voice in the last chapter was getting on my nervous, a little stuck up maybe..."
03/17/2010 page 170
53.13% "Can't decide if I like this book or not. That last chapter made me hate Hugo, what a horrible man."
show 8 hidden updates…