Dena's Reviews > The Day-Glo Brothers

F 50x66
Mar 09, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction

Reading Level: 4th Grade and up
This is the "colorful" story of Bob & Joe Switzer, the creators of Day- Glo colors such as green, orange and yellow. Not only do we learn about how they created these illuminating colors, it is also the story of their never giving up approach through failed attempts and life's unfortunate experiences. The black & white pages with splashes of Day-Glo color are a visual treat. This book would tie in great with a Day-Glo art project. I shared this book with the art teacher at my school!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day-Glo Brothers.

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Thanks for bringing this book to class. What an interesting story and a great book to share with students. I agree that the black & white pictures with the bits of color really make the book!

message 2: by Katina (new)

Katina The authors really made this book pop! They used great illustrations to tell their story of how day-glo colors were created. Thank you for bringing this book to our attention. I think students would find this book very appealing to read.

Erin Ramai Dena,

Did you think the concept of day-glo was explained clearly enough for the 4th through 6th grade reader? I think the teacher would need to do some digging for background information or use the sources Barton lists at the end of his text to help students understand. Kind of a complex concept for a 32 page book.