Joshua's Reviews > First Contact-Or, It's Later Than You Think

Mar 08, 2010

bookshelves: sci-fi-and-fantasy, quote-literature-unquote
Recommended for: Anyone who thinks "life" needs to relax
Read from March 08 to 11, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Some books just do it for you, and for me, this was one of them. First Contact is like if Douglas Adams and Kurt Vonnegut wrote a book together and Woody Allen decided to direct the movie based on the book and added some of his own insights and thoughts. High praise I know, but once you start reading First Contact you begin to realize where the author has decided to take his story.

This is sci-fi in the way most of Vonnegut's work is considered sci-fi, which means "not really." Sure there are aliens, faster than light travel, odd names and different worlds, but this being a satire, everything is more or less based in reality, with nothing ever feeling really alien, a story that's more like an existential based reality, if that makes any sense, which of course, it doesn't.

Not everything works here, which is why I gave the book 4/5 stars. Some of the parts drag and become somewhat of a bore, like the author decided to really drag on, really hammer in ideas close to the point where my mind began to wander and almost want to skim (which is never a good thing). Also, there were some parts that seemed thrown in because the author thought it would be odd and funny, but perhaps the ideas worked better in his mind then on paper (I'm looking at you constant underwear references!!)

Still, overall it was like this book was written for me. Douglas Adams is my "genre" idol. Kurt Vonnegut is my "literary" idol. And Woody Allen is my "film" idol. Each artist shaped me from childhood, shaped the way I read, watch and see things, and left impressions on my so strong that I still carry them into adulthood. These 3 are like my biggest icons, so yeah, if you're like me and enjoy those three men (that sounded really wrong), then I think you'll really like this book. Even if you don't like all 3, I still think you should give the novel a chance. You'll know within the first 30 pages if this books for you. If not, no harm done. But for me, this was like a walk through my interests and passions, and I know how cool that sounds because that's how I roll, which is sadly, not very far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Contact-Or, It's Later Than You Think.