Shaun Thomas's Reviews > The Honor of the Queen

Mar 15, 10

Recommended to Shaun by: Jeff Cousens
Recommended for: anyone
Read from March 08 to 15, 2010, read count: 1

Like On Basilisk Station before it, David Weber has produced a very engaging piece of fiction I thoroughly enjoyed. I'd also like to point out that Baen's free library has made me a customer. Having read these two books has inspired me to finish the series, which currently stands at ten entries.

Since the series is based on her, the reader must know that Honor Harrington will survive any inevitable conflict, but the question is the degree of her triumph. While this does mark the series as pulp of a sort, and something of a potential soap opera, Mr. Weber isn't being excessively overt just yet in this second entry. This time, Honor heads a squadron in her shiny new Star Knight class heavy cruiser, to secure a treaty with Grayson, a moderate settlement of fairly religious zealots. But there was a schism in the past, and even more devout crazies were expelled before a civil war could annihilate everyone.

Grayson citizens believe women are second-class citizens, cause of the first and second Fall of Man, so the fact Honor is a woman captain is an anathema to them. The conflict here is several levels deep, as Haven is obviously involved with the deposed faction in order to secure its own interests in the system. Against prejudice, Haven, and a particularly incompetent political envoy, Honor is expected to rise above.

The only real problem I have is that the series is named after her, so predictably, she'll come out on top. What fun would it be if she didn't? But in this case, it's not the conclusion but the path that's important. It's fairly obvious after this excursion David will need to up the ante, and that doesn't bode well for our poor captain. But I still look forward to reading the third book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Honor of the Queen.

03/08/2010 page 25