Bill Keefe's Reviews > Conspiracy of Fools: A True Story

Conspiracy of Fools by Kurt Eichenwald

M 50x66
Mar 06, 15

Read from March 08 to 19, 2010

I listened to this book on CD.

Another pleasant surprise. I don't usually read books about business but was intrigued by what I remember of the ENRON story. Saw the 25 CD colossus on the shelf in the library and picked it up, figuring it would be interesting or deadly. Better, it was fascinating.

Read like a mystery thriller but also gave real insight into the mess a business can be and the human frailties of the people who run and participate in businesses. I was thoroughly absorbed in the story, finishing it in less than a week (pretty tough when you have to find time and places to listen.).

I found the ethical and business management lessons to be learned from this story profound and will likely to read it again so they can sink in.

The writing is excellent. Detailed, insightful and told in a tone that bears no hint of "I got ya." This makes the story credible, which was critical to keeping my interest.

Probably not a topic for everyone but a story that will not disappoint those with even a faint interest in stories about the conflict between intellectual arrogance and moral weakness. A classic human tragedy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conspiracy of Fools.