Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Fiend Folio

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons by Don Turnbull

Mar 08, 2010

A book of real nasties. You can use it to set up your adventures, populate your dungeon or for a quick bad guy when needed. I didn't use it often, but I found it interesting to read and use.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Advanced Dungeons and Dragons.

Matthew Iden FF gave us the immortal Githyanki and Githzerai. Surprised no one ever took their back story and made it into a fantasy series...

Mike (the Paladin) I think they may have caome along after the heyday of D&D novels. They do show up in some of the games and as bit players. I think they're interesting, especially the Githyanki (more so than their cusins the Githzerai. I never got into Dark Sun much.). I've read that the name was borrowed from a George R.R. Martian novel from '77 called Dying of the Light Dying of the Light, but I never read it. What I read said that the race in that book dosen't really resemble the D&D race...don't know.

Jason Koivu Yeah, I never used this one much either. I think I spent more time just flipping through it rather than using it. I did like how they transformed a few undead type creatures into things like death knights, like skeletons with a quest and/or some kind of backstory.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Wasn't the Crypt Thing in this one? Damn, those were cool books.

Jason Koivu Chris wrote: "Wasn't the Crypt Thing in this one? Damn, those were cool books."

Yeah! The Crypt Thing was one of the few monsters I did use out of this one.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris I want to say the Drow Elves had a good entry here after just a brief mention in the Monster Manual.

Jason Koivu Chris wrote: "I want to say the Drow Elves had a good entry here after just a brief mention in the Monster Manual."

I know a lot of people went gah-gah over the Drow, but I never got into them. I want to say I used them maybe once very briefly in an encounter in one adventure.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Heh. I had the Underdark expansion box set and ran a whole campaign down there. Well, alternated between that and Ravenloft.

...my players hated me.

message 9: by Matthew (last edited Jun 10, 2014 09:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew Iden Chris wrote: "I want to say the Drow Elves had a good entry here after just a brief mention in the Monster Manual."

The Drow are in the FF, but only because the book acted as a catch-all for any monsters introduced in modules after the Monster Manual I was already published. The entry for the Drow is lifted word-for-word from the D series of modules (the ones following the Giant series). Otherwise, all the monsters in the Folio were creations of TSR UK. The cool thing, though, was that TSR put out a special series of modules, the "S" series go figure, to support the Folio and they are almost 100% Folio monsters.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Yes, I think I played some of those S modules. If I remember correctly...

Matthew Iden Chris wrote: "Yes, I think I played some of those S modules. If I remember correctly..."

The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun. Yes, I actually know those off the top of my head. :)

Mike (the Paladin) Wow...some of us are still out here.

Forrest Actually, I thought that most of the new creatures in The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth were featured in MM2, not FF. The Formorian Giant was in MM2, I'm pretty sure. Don't have my books with me at the moment to check, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. I could be wrong . . .

And I liked the Drow in limited doses. A lot of people went completely overboard with them after the Underdark modules came out. Funny how that didn't happen with the Kuo Toa . . .

message 14: by Matthew (last edited Jun 11, 2014 08:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew Iden Forrest wrote: "Actually, I thought that most of the new creatures in The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth were featured in MM2, not FF. The Formorian Giant was in MM2, I'm pretty sure. Don't have my books with me at the..."
Hmm...you're right. Tharizdun had all the Folio creatures (mountain giant, norkers, flinds, some undead, the aarockra), while Tsojcanth was the plug for the monsters from the MMII, like the formorian, behir, dao, etc. Thanks for the correction!

Forrest Tsojcanth just happens to be one of my favorite modules of all time is all. :)

Jason Koivu I'm pretty familiar with S2 White Plume Mountain and it contains mostly creatures from MMI: sea lions, giant crayfish, giant scorpions, manticores, vampire, golem, efreet, sphinx, and of course that huge honkin' crab. Maybe Matt, you're thinking of another series. Possibly A? I don't know.

message 17: by Matthew (last edited Jun 11, 2014 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew Iden Tsojcanth was S4 because I think TSR didn't know where else to slot it ("Special" modules like White Plume and S3 Barrier Peaks that didn't fit well elsewhere).

But it's tied thematically to Tharizdun (they share some loose DM and plot lines), which I just looked at and is a "WG" module, which I assume is for "World of Greyhawk."

I can't remember the timing of the re-release of the Greyhawk campaign stuff, but it fell in between certain product releases. Tsojcanth was definitely meant to be put in the Greyhawk milieux (it has Igwilv's daughter in it and geography is pretty clear), so I don't know why it wasn't a WG module like Tharizdun. Those were strange days for TSR...not everything made sense, lol.

(And to confuse things, the A modules were the Slaver series set in the WG Pomarj...so they should've been WG modules, but I think TSR just said screw it, start at the beginning of the alphabet.)

Jason Koivu Matthew wrote: "Tsojcanth was S4 because I think TSR didn't know where else to slot it ("Special" modules like White Plume and S3 Barrier Peaks that didn't fit well elsewhere).

But it's tied thematically to Thari..."

Yeah, it definitely felt like there wasn't one overarching game plan. They were coming up with new ideas and material was coming in from various sources with their own vision. In the end it doesn't really matter, and if anything, it was smart to provide diverse options for players with divergent tastes.

Matthew Iden Jason wrote: "In the end it doesn't really matter, and if anything, it was smart to provide diverse options for players with divergent tastes. ..."

Amen. I miss those days...

Mike (the Paladin) ...nerds unite. When I was playing D&D at first it was looked at...askance. It became an issue at our church, there were stories about "kids" going crazy playing it. The book and movie Mazes and Monsters came out.

Jason Koivu Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "...nerds unite. When I was playing D&D at first it was looked at...askance. It became an issue at our church, there were stories about "kids" going crazy playing it. The book and movie [book:Mazes ..."

Those were dark days indeed.

Forrest Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "...there were stories about "kids" going crazy playing it."

That's what happened to me . . . explains a lot . . .

Mike (the Paladin) Glad you spotted it. I don't think it happened to me, but....would I know?????

cue Twilight Zone music