Lindsey's Reviews > Rabbit Is Rich

Rabbit Is Rich by John Updike

Mar 26, 10

bookshelves: adult
Read from March 08 to 26, 2010

Originally, the name of the author was what had drawn my attention to this book. I had read "A & P" both in high school and in college and had enjoyed that short story by John Updike so I decided to try "Rabbit is Rich." The first few chapters I was disappointed because the story revolved around a selfish, overweight, middle-aged man that I didn't feel like I could connect to in any way; however, as the story progressed I began to like it more and more.
There are several sex scenes in the book and I liked that they were a far cry from romance novels' depiction of what sex is. I do believe this is the first book where I have encountered "swingers" as well. Apart from the couple of short sections with intercourse I felt that there were pieces that were taken from life and how people interact with others, espcially the gap between different age generations. Several times I wish I could have jumped into the story to smooth out things between Nelson and his father, or perhaps hit Nelson when he was acting like a tool. Rabbit Is Rich serves a slice of cold life with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rabbit Is Rich.