Gina's Reviews > The Possessed: Adventures With Russian Books and the People Who Read Them

The Possessed by Elif Batuman

2069941
Mar 17, 10

bookshelves: 26-books-for-2010
Read in March, 2010

When I read this review on Slate.com, I couldn't resist, I ordered the book right away (link: http://www.slate.com/id/2245194/pagen...).

Batuman has an exquisite dry wit that reminds me of Sarah Vowell - academic, self-effacing and very perceptive. I also immediately took to the strange otherness I encountered when studying Russian - the nihilism, ennui, the European/Asian fusion that became quite its own. I love her writing, and look forward to reading more of her books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Possessed.

message 1: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan As someone who's read most of Dostoevsky and Tolstoy's catalogs, this book was recommended to me in my own store yesterday. I'm intrigued, but I have no idea when I'll get the time to read it.

Gina She's smart but not inaccessible, should be a quick read for you. Maybe summer vacation? You would seriously get a kick out of it.

message 3: by Evan (new) - added it

Evan I have to take two Brit Lit courses this summer, probably from LSU correspondence (long story). I don't know when I'll get to choose my next read. Look at what I'm currently working on for classes. I also have 4 more novels to cover before the semester ends.