Joel's Reviews > Angelology

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni

Apr 23, 10

bookshelves: 2010, 52-in-2010, library-books, zzzz, sci-fi-fantasy, worst-reads, wwii
Recommended to Joel by: The stupid New York Times
Recommended for: People I don't like
Read from April 15 to 23, 2010, read count: 1

This one kept losing stars as it went. The broad concept was really interesting, excerpting one of those weird bits of the bible and making it the basis for an otherworldly, fantastical story. But the characters are flat and the writing is dull -- most of the first half of the book is scenes of people doing research, and we get to read right along with them as they examine ancient historical texts and first-hand accounts of angelic encounters. This is about as exciting as reading a musty old history textbook can be, but leaves you ready for some action.

Sadly, when the action finally does start up, the book quickly falls apart. Danielle Trussoni clearly has zero skill in writing a thriller, and the frantic final third grows increasingly ludicrous and difficult to follow, with several poorly-staged battles between demonic creatures and old nuns and an anticlimactic The Da Vinci Code search for a hidden historical object that is simply there to pad out the story needlessly. The writing is very sloppy and many confrontations don't make much sense (at one point the villain has a gun trained on the heroes but neglects to use it for no discernible reason, even as one of them slowly assembles a mysterious object that might spell the villain's defeat).

The ending springs a Star Wars-esque moral choice on the lead character pretty much out of nowhere and the book ends on a very sour note, clearly setting things up for a sequel that I would guess perhaps 10 percent of those who slog all the way through Angelology will actually bother to read.

Oh, and it's going to be made into a doubtlessly terrible movie. Hooray.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelology.

04/16/2010 page 69
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina
"the villain has a gun trained on the heroes but neglects to use it for no discernible reason, even as one of them slowly assembles a mysterious object that might spell the villain's defeat"

LOL!
The bad guys never take advantage of the moments when the superhero is trasforming or getting his superweapons ready.
When I was a child I used to watch Sailor Moon, and she took ages to get in her pretty costume; I've always wondered if the bad guys in that series were all Peeping Toms or WTH did they do in the meanwhile.

message 2: by Joel (new) - rated it 1 star

Joel excellent point! perhaps she is encased in some sort of protection bubble while she spins around and changes her clothes.

but it's kind of like wondering why the power rangers always wait until the last minute to combine and do their ultimate move. just do it right away!

Kara Ripley It might actually make a better movie than book...

message 4: by Joel (new) - rated it 1 star

Joel could be. it would almost have to be less boring.

message 5: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Norman Thanks for your review - you've saved me wasting hours of my life reading this tosh! I usually hate stopping reading a book before the end, but since it doesn't sound like its worth the effort and its been tough just to get to page 200, I'll happily stop! ;)

message 6: by Joel (new) - rated it 1 star

Joel Good call! You're welcome.