Linda's Reviews > Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour

Jul 20, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: from-library, nonfiction
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** It's a tedious read that finally gets to the point about two-thirds through. The coauthor and former yacht captain of the Splendour is a patsy for Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner. That ultimately leads him to be caught up in all the intrigue and still unanswered questions about Natalie Wood's death.

Davern is treated like family and therefore used by the Hollywood golden couple. He does their bidding above and beyond the call of duty like identifying Natalie's body.

The book goes like this: "Marti (author), I need to tell you what really happened the night Natalie died." "Dennis, tell me." "I can't." Next chapter, "Dennis, you need to tell what happened that night." "I know I do but I can't."

This goes on for years and hundreds of pages yet Davern does tell his story to a few tabloids and there's some Geraldo Rivera happenings. The ultimate revelation is chilling but by the time you get to it, it almost doesn't register.

Much stronger are the people in nearby yachts who come into the story late. Lots for the conspiracy lovers.

Somewhere between this version of Natalie Wood's death and Robert Wagner's sort of telling in his autobiograpy proably lies the truth.

Unforgivable is a macabre depiction of what Natalie's last moments of life must have been like. For a pair of writers who claim they only have the best intersts of Natalie's daughters at heart, it's horrible.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour.

03/08/2010 page 79