Julia's Reviews > Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set by Rick Riordan

Mar 08, 10

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in January, 2010

This set was recommended to me by a 9th grader, and I'm giving the hardcover set to my granddaughter on her 10th birthday. While the writing style is not up to my J.K.Rowling yardstick, the books offer good characters and an unusual premise. Percy and others are "demigods", meaning that one of their parents is a Greek god. Thus, Riordan also brings young readers into the world of mythology while providing an entertaining action storyline.

As with the Potter books, one of my favorite characteristics if that the books focus on friendship rather than moving into any type of romance. In book one, THE LIGHTNING THIEF, Percy (short for Perseus) is 11, and becomes a year older in each book.

The set of 5 is rather uneven, with the third book, THE TITAN'S CURSE, being my favorite. Riordan may not have Rowling's great descriptive style, but he HAS provided a good storyline and some memorable characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patty (new)

Patty I love your reviews and appreciate the recommendations in a genre that I'm unfamiliar with.......YA

I'm im-patiently waiting to hear what you have to say about our library discussion book for this month.

Bianca Your JKR yardstick is my same problem - although these books are great, the writing just cannot compare to the books that, to me, have become the pinnacle of everything a good fantasy movel - really, a good novel - should be: Harry Potter.