Stephen's Reviews > The Place You Love Is Gone: Progress Hits Home

The Place You Love Is Gone by Melissa Holbrook Pierson

May 22, 10

bookshelves: 2009-reads, 2007-reads, absolute-favorites, enviro-studies
Read in January, 2009, read count: 3

2007 wrote: A good follow-up to the previous book read, Saving America's Treasures. Subtitled "Progress Hits Home", this book tracks various ways progress has erased our cultural identity. The subject has intrigued me since I saw a graveyard standing in the middle of a mini-mall parking lot down in Maryland about 5 years back. It wasn't the only example I was to see in life. This book spotlights how people's hometowns are whipped clean by progress, be it by commercialism or by flooding towns to create reservoirs. This book hits home as one of the chapters describes the flooding of towns in the Catskills that I have often heard my grandfather and parents talk of playing and adventuring in. I have often been pointed to the middle of a lake to descrinbe my family's past. And this the reason so many people can't come to terms with their own past or their ancestors. The writing is amazing, fiery and fierce and angry but somehow loving and sweet. Courageous. Honest.

2009: Still Brillant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Place You Love Is Gone.