Nicole's Reviews > Skip Beat!, Vol. 01

Skip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki Nakamura

Mar 08, 10

bookshelves: manga, shojo
Read in March, 2010 — I own a copy

I've been toying with the idea of reading this series for a while, and seeing it recently appear in the Top 5 of a reader's poll recently, I finally took the plunge. A good, classic shojo story...with some spunk. Kyoko Mogami drops out of high school to follow her childhood friend (and the object of her crush), Sho, to Tokyo so that he can pursue his dream of becoming a famous celebrity/musician. Of course, readers (and Kyoko) learn very early in volume one that Sho has been taking advantage of Kyoko, using her to just clean his apartment, pay for his groceries, etc. She was basically worthless in his eyes. In a moment of confrontation, Kyoko swears revenge for her mistreatment...and Sho dares her to become a celebrity so that she can truly challenge him on equal footing. As a result, volume one's main thrust is Kyoko's desperate attempts to join a talent agency that rival's Sho's in prestige and size.

By the second half of the volume, I found myself getting hooked in Kyoko's story. Some of the artwork and dialogue placement/lettering can be confusing in layout (my eyes don't know where to go), but all in all well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skip Beat!, Vol. 01.