Jay's Reviews > Affinity

Affinity by Sarah Waters

2419499
Mar 11, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, historical-distant, my-lesbianism-let-me-show-you-it, tampon-theatre
Read from March 08 to 11, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I'm disappointed by this book. I enjoyed the other two novels of Sarah Waters that I've read, Fingersmith and Tipping The Velvet, and I had been hoping that this one would continue on those lines. It's so remarkably different, though. In a way, this is a good thing. It shows that Waters isn't just a one-trick pony (true love, simple plotlines, the like), but it's so depressing and dark that it can be difficult to get through. It's also written in such a strange way that it's initially difficult to get into. It wasn't until a third of the way through that I was able to really flow with it.

I actually enjoyed a lot of this book. I liked Margaret, and her suicide attempt and her age and how she is so horribly tricked. Maybe she's naive, but the way she's presented is that she desperately, desperately wants to seek someone out and get her out of the rut. That's presented from the beginning. I liked the theme. I liked the descriptions of the prison. I liked how Selina tricked them.

But I didn't like the book. I didn't like the way it was written. Waters said (according to her Wikipedia page) that she didn't like writing it either. And if a writer doesn't enjoy it, it will become apparent in the book. I didn't like the ending much either. A blue beginning, a blue middle, and a blue ending. How about some uplifting scenes?

It's not like other Waters novels, and this is a double-edged sword. At least it shows what else she can do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Affinity.

03/09/2010 page 104
29.55% "Not very uplifting, I must say." 1 comment
03/10/2010 page 218
61.93% "Well, it's getting a little better."