Carolyn Gerk's Reviews > Push

Push by Sapphire

Mar 22, 10

This book is fiction, right? I wasn't too sure, having heard of the movie and having seen the preview first, I had naturally assumed it was a biography of an abused child, like we have seen many of before.
Then I picked up the book, breezed through it as it is remarkably short, and then scoured the cover for a stamp that says 'fiction'. Normally I don't read a book this drastic and dark that isn't non fiction. It reminds me lightly of When Rabbit Howls (the troops for Trudi Chase). I picked up a strong mental trauma feel from the story, which Sapphire seems to indicate when we discover Precious has trouble reading and writing based on emotions.
Normally only reality is this dark, and I don't know much about the author, but I have to wonder how much of this story can be traced back to her own life.
A very dark and disturbing novel, with a rather cliche hope towards the end with the Dangerous Minds learning experience and gaining of academic ability. None the less, for the two hours it took to read, why not give it a shot if you have the guts to be poured into some very depressing material.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Push.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kati The vibe I got was that Sapphire was the basis for the teacher... the only person in the entire world who understands Precious. What a hero. blah.

Carolyn Gerk I enjoy your comment, Kati :) lol