Kate's Reviews > The Bitch in the House: 26 Women Tell the Truth About Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood, and Marriage

The Bitch in the House by Cathi Hanauer

319837
Mar 13, 10

bookshelves: cultural-current-events
Read on March 01, 2010

I will hesitantly say I liked this book. I often feel that the balance of home labor is vastly unequal, even with theoretically feminist partners. So while the editor picked some good, well-written essays to put those frustrations into words, there was a little too much reference to The Writing Life for my taste. I mean, who can relate to someone who discovers that her answer to division of labor so that each parent could spend enough time writing was to hire a live-in nanny and take yoga with her husband? Or Ellen Gilchrist who talks about how she spent her days shopping, getting her hair done and playing tennis while her children were young. Not my life. But still, many of the points are well-made and rather than inciting me to anger like some other similar books I've read, led me towards compromise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bitch in the House.