colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ±'s Reviews > Barnaby Grimes: Curse of the Night Wolf

Barnaby Grimes by Paul Stewart

1209800
Jul 23, 10

bookshelves: middle-grade, horror-esque, fantasy, action-adventure
Read from July 21 to 22, 2010 — I own a copy

2.5

Surprisingly gruesome for being a kids book, but not overly gory. I think younger kids would love it, and maybe find it a little frightening - though the easily frightened, in a bad way, and over-protective parents might stear away from it.

I wish I liked it more than I did, though. It's one of those books that, while told in first person, feels distant. I never really clicked with it, and never really felt the terror of the situation. Also, I had the mystery figured out in, like, the first 5 pages, and you know that it ends well since it's sort of told as a flashback, so maybe that takes something of the edge off?

Fast read, enjoyable enough, and I loved the illustrations by Riddel. I'll still probably get the next in the series, even though I didn't love it, more because I'm hoping there's a payout to the potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barnaby Grimes.

07/21/2010 page 30
13.0% "The font of this book is really, really large - like I'm having a hard time reading it, it's that big."