KyneWynn's Reviews > Dead Poets Society

Dead Poets Society by N.H. Kleinbaum

I started to read this book -- and couldn't get past the first chapter -- unfortunately, like other, books written after the movie was made, it falls short of literary sparkle. I love the movie though, and for me it will always be a reminder. My husband, son, and daughter were in a stage version of this play -- for opening night. My husband died that night. This is a poem I wrote about the juxtaposition of the two:

In Fifty-five Words

Father and son,
Playing father and son:
On stage, the dialogue
Between the character
Neil
and his father was electric;
Excellent casting decision.
It was just like watching them
At home.
Teenage angst,
Overbearing father--
In a way,
Disturbing.
In the end,
on stage,
the son committed suicide.
At home, that night,
My husband
Died.

PS: It is now nine years later, and while in many ways it has gotten easier, the two will be forever entwined. In remembrance, every year on the anniversary of Kelly's death, I watch Dead Poets Society; it feel fitting somehow.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Poets Society.

message 1: by Vivian (new)

Vivian You are a family of amazing ability. Your poem is both tribute and solice.

KyneWynn Elizabeth wrote: "I am sorry for your loss, truly I am. However, I really liked the poem."

Thank you. It's been 9 1/2 years now, but I still have widow moments every now and then. Every year on the anniversary of his death, I watch Dead Poets Society; it is fitting somehow. I like to think that I have moved forward, seizing the day as it were, as I have built a life on my own.

Regards,

KyneWynn

message 3: by Aziz (new)

Aziz Qaissi Nine years old, and your Fifty-five Words remins as young and cute as it was! It reminds of what Robin Williams, acting as Keating, said in "Dead Poets Society"--the movie:
"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we belong to the human race, and the human race is filled with passion."
And today, let me tell you that Robin Williams has passed away...

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Franke It is one of my favourite movies. I love Todd's character and can relate to him. Sometimes I use it in my high school English classes in many different ways.