Susan's Reviews > The Outstretched Shadow

The Outstretched Shadow by Mercedes Lackey

Mar 24, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from March 07 to 21, 2010

I liked the story and the characters very much; and I loved the concept of wild magic in this book. But so much of the book was taken up by the mental anguish of its main character, Kellen Tavadon, that it began to feel like filler -- something added to make the book thicker.

Granted Kellen has been torn from his insular urban existence and thrown into the wide world of wild magic, and his struggles to find the truth between these conflicting worlds are important to the story. But I have enough of a problem dealing with my own monkey mind without the additional trauma of being told in excruciating detail every doubt, thought, and emotion in the mind of a seventeen year old boy whenever something new happens to him. Not to mention that floating in timelessness feeling I get when authors stop in the middle of a life and death struggle to give me a 15 minute description of what must have passed through the character's mind in a instant.

Happily the next two books in this series are unavailable in audio so I don't have to decide whether or not to continue on to book #2.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outstretched Shadow.