Athena's Reviews > Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne

Bright Star by John Keats

F_50x66
Apr 05, 10

Read in March, 2010

Some of the things that Keats writes to Fanny are simply beautiful. Overall, Keats is too whiney and repetitive. It shows in his letters that she wasn't as enamored by him as he was with her. He writes that she wants him to forget him, that she hasn't written in a while, etc. He never mentions anything about her character, only of her beauty. No wonder Fanny was unsure that he truely loved her.

Why is this book so one-sided? Why not add Fanny's letters? Also, there is a lack of purpose for the poems at the end other than they were written about her. What about an in depth analysis? What about an explanation as to why the poems fit into the book instead of giving it a seperate section?

I read this in one day and was pushing myself to finish. Overall, a total bore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Star.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy Fanny's letters aren't included because Keats requested they be destroyed after his death, which I'm pretty sure is mentioned in the introduction. It was a very common request of the time because personal papers could be used to present the deceased in an unflattering light after the death. Keats likely didn't want anything to reflect poorly on Fanny, so he asked the letters to be destroyed. Remember, he believed himself to be a failure at the time of his death-- he probably never realized anyone would have ANY interest in the letters whatsoever.

message 2: by Athena (last edited Apr 05, 2010 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Athena Good point.

Also, I didn't realize he destroyed the letters. I probably forgot about it. Thanks!