Shera (Book Whispers)'s Reviews > Undead and Unwed

Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson

Apr 03, 2010

bookshelves: 2004
Read in January, 2010

Every once in a while I need a little chick lit, not just any chic lit, but UF/paranormal chick lit. So far the few books I've tried out in this area have not been to good. In fact I had all but given up on the genre, until the wondrous light of The Accidental Demon Slayer shined down upon me with it's magical road kill. So maybe there was hope! Davidson's series was floating around the blogsphere and after reading her YA series I decided to give it a try.

Half way through the book I realized that something was happening. I was always smiling, giggling, or hysterically laughing when ever I was reading this book. This is a giggle book. The humor was great, I never felt like Davidson was trying to hard (which has been a problem in the chick lits). The main character is the lovely Betsy who never shuts up, rants on and on in her head about stupid things, and is pretty thick. Betsy even admits she is stupid, well at least not the sharpest crayon in the box. When she first comes back from the dead Betsy is bent on killing herself so that she will die again, she's convinced she's some type of evil Zombie. That's just a taste of some of the crazy stupid things she does.

The characters are pretty good in this book, all of them are well thought out and I grew attached to Betsy's friends. It was nice getting background on everyone and I felt that things went along smoothly with the plot and the build up in the book. The only character I felt didn't add up was the love interest, maybe because the love interest didn't get too much page time to develop. In fact he was irritating, I wasn't sure if it was because the character was actually irritating or if Betsy's constant dislike(denial) dominating the book that was irritating. That was probably one of my only beefs with this book.

Bottom Line:

This is a fun chick lit romp into the UF/paranormal side of things. If you haven't had much luck with these kinds of books or never tried chick lit this is the book to try. The plot is much deeper than an average chick lit and pretty cool action scenes. This is a giggler book with a fun plot and a you don't want to miss the new Queen of the vampires rise up.

Sexual Content:

Sexual jokes and content indeed. There is one in the pool sex scene at the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undead and Unwed.