Julie Davis's Reviews > The Stand

The Stand by Stephen King

Mar 07, 2010

Read from July 24 to 29, 2012

This is an enduring favorite, especially when you consider that I read it when it came out (yes, waaaay back in 1980) and I must have read it 5 or 6 times at least. Picking it up again because it's that Scott and I will be discussing in August on A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast.

Just began reading this again and it is funny how much I recall instantly and yet how many little scenes I completely forgot. Like the guy in the disease center looking at all the bodies over the video camera and thinking about the "one who got out."

FINAL
Such a fantastic book. This is definitely a "desert island" book for me. Can't wait to talk about this with Scott although I've got three pages of "stand out" points so we probably won't touch on everything.

Here's our conversation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

07/24/2012 page 50
07/25/2012 page 214
26.0% "It's all happening ... Larry and the tunnel, Stu and Stovington, Frannie and Harold in Maine, Nick and the sheriff, Lloyd in the abandoned jail (ugh), Trashcan Man and Gary IND., Randall Flagg walking ... and the dreams ... always the dreams. Oh so good..."
07/26/2012 page 325
40.0% "Haunting descriptions of how lonely and big the land is without other people than the ones we are following. And they begin to join into groups ... some going to Nebraska and some meeting Randall Flagg, the black man of dreams." 1 comment
07/27/2012 page 430
53.0% "Mother Abagail ... oh yes, how I love this book."
07/28/2012 page 520
64.0% "Off to the West, go the three. Still amazed at the profundity of some of the points King is slipping in here and there ... from a Catholic point of view there is some real gold in this mountain of a book. Plus a riveting story. Oh, right, that too. :-D" 2 comments
08/13/2016 marked as: read

Tamahome I have that version sitting in my car.

Joseph R. I wish I had the time to re-read this. But at least I am starting Jane Eyre, so that counts for something, right?