Julie Davis's Reviews > World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

World War Z by Max Brooks

Sep 30, 13

Read from December 27, 2010 to January 02, 2011, read count: 3

This will be my fourth time reading WWZ, though I think it will probably be more like a high-level skimming since I just finished listening to the audio book a few months ago (which was my 3rd time through the book). I'm really looking forward to it and to the resultant discussion at A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast. This is Scott's choice.

My review is below.
It goes by many names: “The Crisis,” “The Dark Years,” “The WalkingPlague,” as well as newer and more “hip” titles such as “World War Z” or “Z War One.” I personally dislike this last moniker as it implies an inevitable “Z War Two.” For me, it will always be “The Zombie War,” and while many may protest the scientific accuracy of the word zombie, they will be hard-pressed to discover a more globally accepted term for the creatures that almost caused our extinction. Zombie remains a devastating word, unrivaled in its power to conjure up so many memories or emotions, and it is these memories, and emotions, that are the subject of this book.

This record of the greatest conflict in human history owes its genesis to a much smaller, much more personal conflict between me and the chairperson of the United Nation’s Postwar Commission Report. My initialwork for the Commission could be described as nothing short of a labor of love. My travel stipend, my security access, my battery of translators, both human and electronic, as well as my small, but nearly priceless voice-activated transcription “pal” (the greatest gift the world’s slowest typist could ask for), all spoke to the respect and value my work was afforded on this project. So, needless to say, it came as a shock when I found almost half of that work deleted from the report’s final edition. ...
World War Z (WWZ) is the book that began the zombie invasion of publishing. You may thank or curse Max Brooks, depending on your feeling about the genre. Actually, WWZ is the follow-up to Brooks' 2003 book, The Zombie Survival Guide. Where that book was a twist on more practical manuals, however, WWZ is a much more serious novel than one might expect.

In this "future history" a reporter travels the world to interview key individuals who fought in the zombie wars after a virus surfaces that sweeps over populations in an epidemic, leaving huge numbers of zombies roaming the earth. The clever premise provides much food for thought about how individuals and governments respond to unexpected emergencies ... or fail to respond. Brooks uses this vehicle not only to tell an excellent story but to skewer governmental policies and lambast the powerful who take advantage of any situation for their own gain. This is a real page turner that resulted in many late nights as I watched civilization collapse and wondered what was found that allowed victory over the zombie hordes

UPDATE: May 2013

This is my 3rd reading of World War Z, this time via the new unabridged audiobook version (review copy from SFFaudio, God bless 'em!). I had the previous audio version but never could make myself listen to it because I knew it was abridged.

I wondered how the documentary-style story would hold up with so many different voices taking up the tale in turn. The answer is that I now admire even more Max Brooks' talent in weaving these voices together to make a suspenseful story. I didn't think I could admire the book more, actually. But I am happy to be proven wrong. It is tailor-made for audio and, although I now feel as though I went through the war myself, I also feel a quiet optimism for the future. So, there you go ...

I've heard that Max Brooks' answer when asked to comment on the upcoming World War Z movie is something like, "Well, they have the same name." I, for one, am grateful for the movie since it prompted this unabridged version. And I hold out hope for the movie since I was among the few who enjoyed I, Robot the movie, just as much as I, Robot the book. They are just different animals. Fingers crossed, that WWZ is the same.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World War Z.

05/22/2013 marked as: currently-reading
05/29/2013 page 300
87.0% "So very good and I'd forgotten how hopeful it becomes at the end."
05/30/2013 marked as: read
08/08/2013 marked as: to-read
09/09/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/09/2013 page 4
1.0% "4th time's the charm right? Luckily this book has something interesting every time around, whether in printed or audio format (which is simply fantastic, btw)."
09/11/2013 marked as: to-read
09/24/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/30/2013 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

message 1: by booklady (new)

booklady Hmmmm... now I can see where those dreams come from girl! ;)

Julie Davis Yes, I figured you hadn't read enough of my reviews. :-D

Patrick Julie wrote: ..."Not to mention The Reapers Are the Angels (best zombie book ever written ... and among the best apocalyptic, quest books ever written)."

Julie, I agree with you about "The Reapers Are the Angels"

Julie Davis WOOHOO!

message 5: by booklady (new)

booklady Julie wrote: "Yes, I figured you hadn't read enough of my reviews. :-D

No, LOL I'haven't ventured into the zombie craze, pop culture-heathen that I am.

Julie Davis I highly encourage reading Reapers ... the zombies are actually just background somewhat similar to wolves in a Western. They set the conditions but do not drive the story. My review where there is a bit of an excerpt to show the writing style.

message 7: by booklady (new)

booklady Okay, thanks Julie!

message 8: by Fonch (new)

Fonch Preparing for the movie Mrs Julie :-). The Truth world war z is one of the most powerful movie of 2013 with the let of the Hobbit Desolation of Smaug :-). I heard the books word war z it is very interesting. I did not read, but i heard that the books is done with interviews of the survivors at least it is my impression.

Julie Davis Yep! As I mention above ... :-)